compressor kicks on and off with heat on..on bi level vents. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

compressor kicks on and off with heat on..on bi level vents.

Reaction score
City, State
cape cod ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4x4
ok driving ....2001,expl sport 4x4 93k....about an hr to a concert...everything going good..its was cold out..had heat on...got to concert, parked in garage and was getting my stuff together..letting the egine idle..heat off..turned heat on to bi level vent for some hot air....compressor started to kick on and off..cycle very very fast....and almost stalls out suv when clicks on..and off..and on..etc...commone problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not a problem that the AC pump kicks on, that thing runs with every mode that includes the upper defrost vents. They use it to pull the moisture from the air to dry out the defrost. The problem is your vehicle was almost stalling, I would check and clean your IAC to make sure it is operating properly.

ok will do it...no not on defrost the upper vent and lower leg vent.. just turn it to there so i get heat from both places and compressor kicks on and off..cycling really fast..no defrost no a/c just reg hot air on bi leve vent...but will check that out..any other advise or optinions?:confused:

yep that's how it is supposed to work (as posted... basically).... if you choose any "picture" that uses both levels of air flow, AC will kick in regardless of your temperature settings. As indicted, this is a feature to help with "humidity". Check your manual.

Yeah the only time the AC will not run is on vent only. everything else uses the compressor

Ford did not cut off the power in bi-level postion and the pressure cycling switch goes into overtime when both heat aand a/c run at the sametime ford uses the blend door method to control air temp.

Back