computer chip and other aftermarket parts info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

computer chip and other aftermarket parts info

rama1200

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer xls
I'm looking to start mod-ing my stock 2001 sport... usual 4.0L, shoc, etc...

looking for more h.p. came accrosssss this site http://www.20horsepower.com... the item looks like a magic solution at a great price... also... I was looking at this other site http://www.myauto.tv/tfs/?PHPSESSID...fea8bc60d4034a7

has anybody had any experience/comments about any of these products?

Does anyone know how much will my power increase just by adding a k&n air filter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it sounds too good to be true, it is. You get what you pay for. Spend the $$$ and do it right with a SCT based chip/flasher and get it tuned to your Ex. More expensive, but worth every penny.

Site sponsor Bamachips is a good bet.

K&N filter on its own probably wouldn't add much. Consider a KKM/K&N/Volant/Mac intake system instead, do an after market exhaust and a chip/flasher to tie it together. These are the three mods many people recommend to start with and I agree wholeheartedly. I did the same thing about a year ago and no complaints.

(p.s. those mods you asked about are CRAP, except maybe the K&N)

oops... I forgot...

after emailing k&n rep... i learned that by just adding a filter, you can pick between 2% and 4% on h.p.

and I quote:

"Hello,

Thank you for your interest in K&N products. We do not run dyno runs with just a filter replacement. This would require too much dyno time. The spot checks we do indicate a 2 to 4% increase in horsepower.

Thank you,

Leon S. Collins
K&N Technical Support
1-800-858-3333
"

rama1200 said:
Thanks, Celly...
"insider tip" was great...
You are probably right... I might as well start saving for "well known" mods...

Be careful. This site is hazardous to your wallet! Search around the site and you'll get all sorts of ideas. Intake/exhaust/chip are just the beginning.

celly said:
Be careful. This site is hazardous to your wallet! Search around the site and you'll get all sorts of ideas. Intake/exhaust/chip are just the beginning.

I know. :( My checking account is getting smaller already. :D

Brian_B said:
I know. :( My checking account is getting smaller already. :D

LOL. Well, it's still a bit bigger for now. Haven't checked Paypal recently but it should happen soon.

I "might" have paid a visit to the post office with a box full of shiny goods destined for some backwoods place in the US yesterday, but it's anyone's guess what I was doing there (if I went to the post office at all). ;)

Actually, it will get a lot smaller on the 7th. I just looked.

Some people must be as trusting as Doug is. :)

The way I see it, you'd be lost if your name was smeared all over the place for being a deadbeat buyer. ;)

Will send a tracking # later. Was going to wait until the funds cleared. Box was posted yesterday.

[/topic]Thanks celly. I know we hijacked his thread, but I think the correct answer was given.

It will be interesting to see where all the "box" ends up on its journey. I ordered a book for class a few weeks ago from CA, it went to Ohio, then Illinios, then tennessee, then finally to AR. Weird! [topic]

I have a flasher that Doug (bamma chips) programmed, I am getting a MAC intake as we speak. Exhaust is down the road a little bit yet.

I intend to do some thing to prolong the life of my transmission next. Cooler, external filter, and temp guage.

I finally installed my Gibson SS exhaust and Volant air filter kit last week, along with new plugs, wires, and fuel filter. I also got the Xcal2 with 3 programs from Doug @Bamachips. I went with an 87 octane program, a 93 octane torque program, and a 93 performance program. So far, I've only tried the first two....just filled the tank with 93 last night. I'll try the performance tune tomorrow. With the 87 octane flash, I actually got 40 miles/tank more than my usual and I was far from gentle with it. I'm loving the improved shift schedule and quicker throttle response. Most of the mods I've made so far (including suspension/etc) have been necessary maintanence items that cost about the same to go aftermarket as it would've with stock parts...some things alot more, some things less, LOL.

I actually had the Volant cool air intake on by itself for a day or two before the exhaust and flash. It felt like the engine lost a little low end, but picked up a little in the higher RPMs. It definately sounded alot louder above half throttle. Once I put the exhaust on too, it felt about the same as stock down low with a noticeable increase up top and has a decent sound now too. With Doug's tune in addition to the rest, it feels alot better across the board and is much more fun to drive. Next on the list is an electric fan, when I decide which one to get.

no problem about highjacking the thread... it is funny to see you all have to say. :eek:

I returned my k&n filter to the local store after having it installed for about a week... kept the sticky gasket and "stop" decal that came with it...

just ordered a kkm and the cleaning kit... will save for exhaust, etc.

Talk about $$$$$..... I had to get a part time job (in addtion to my full time) just to pay for toys like this.. :eek:

since I'm adding more hp to my sport, i might need to buy me a boat to pull it :D

finally got kkm this weekend and installed it... did not noticed a dramatic h.p. increase (maybe it was more psychological than anything)... but i do think that the car moves easier; it makes a smaller effort to move the same as it would have before at same speed, etc...

I did also noticed a noice (not a wistle) but more like "air in motion"... a shhhhhh -- if it makes sence...

An after-install side effect (don't know if related or not) was that the right turn signal blinks twice as fast as the left one... maybe due to negative battery cable unplug??? any ideas??

tires/wheel upgrade

I'm also thinking about changing my stock tires to a more sportier look.. may cobras, etc...

is it true that when you change the size (go bigger, let's say 18") of you tires/wheels you need to modified your brakes to make up for the mods???

will wider tires add to stability and drive-ability (or how ever you write that)?

rama1200 said:
An after-install side effect (don't know if related or not) was that the right turn signal blinks twice as fast as the left one... maybe due to negative battery cable unplug??? any ideas??

Sounds like one of your signal bulbs is burned out. Replace the guilty bulb and it should flash normal again. Probably more of a coincidence than anything. Unlikely that disconnecting the battery caused it.

rama1200 said:
I'm also thinking about changing my stock tires to a more sportier look.. may cobras, etc...

is it true that when you change the size (go bigger, let's say 18") of you tires/wheels you need to modified your brakes to make up for the mods???

will wider tires add to stability and drive-ability (or how ever you write that)?

Hi rama1200:

Cobra's would look pretty good, I think :D

Bigger wheels will probably have more rolling inertia. Upgrading brakes will help bring your stop times back down. Not many options here, though. Cross-drill your rotors and get some good aftermarket brake pads.

Wider tires can help with traction, but also can cause tramlining. Probably a wash for a daily driver with a near-stock engine.

Regards,
John.

that's what i thought... why is it that whenever you make some changes to your car, something else breakes and you blame the mod???

I think I will replace all of them and go with some cool blue/bright lights euro-somthing and add some fog/driving lights...

as for the tires, i guess that as long as the overall radius remins the same, it should not change your x specs that much, right?

I might also "surf" ebay looking for a nice set of wheels ...

Thanks guys

PS: pls forgive my English... it doesn't work today

Back