• Register Today It's free!

Considering a 2008 Explorer

jhumbertoap

Reaction score
City, State
Painted Post, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I have a 2002 - V6 4X4 with 135K miles and I am considering a change for a 2008 - V8 - 4X4 but I'm wondering if reliability has improved in latest models, so I'd appreciate some honest opinions/responses to my questions:

1) What the life expectancy of front and rear wheel bearings (in miles)?
2) At what mileage do you start hearing roaring noises in the rear differential, or some other drive train component?
3) At what mileage do you start having tranny issues? (OD not engaging or flashing, hard or delay shifting between gears, etc).
4) Any other problem?

I love the versatility, safety, and comfort of this great family car, but reliability in all honesty sucks! But I'm not a chevy or dodge guy... so any sign of improvement over the above issues and I may get another one.
Thanks..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

reliability of any year newer than your 2002 will be MUCH improved (on average). 02 was notorious for many of the little issues common to the 3rd/4th gen. I have an 08 V8 AWD with 30k miles. the 6spd mated to the new V8 is reliable (sometimes a computer update is needed to smooth the shifting) but mechanically it is strong. wheel bearings have not been an issue as much on the 06+ models as well (sorry can't estimate a mileage) rear diff whine same, 06+ not very common to have issues. by 08, the glitches for the 4th gen were mostly worked out. Personal experience - I've had a few cosmetic type things fixed under warranty, but mechanically no issues in my 30k. gas mileage in the 3v V8 will be equal or better than your 4.0 V6. (I get 21mpg on the highway) the 08 will ride smoother and quieter than your 02.

I have a 2002 - V6 4X4 with 135K miles and I am considering a change for a 2008 - V8 - 4X4 but I'm wondering if reliability has improved in latest models, so I'd appreciate some honest opinions/responses to my questions:

1) What the life expectancy of front and rear wheel bearings (in miles)?
2) At what mileage do you start hearing roaring noises in the rear differential, or some other drive train component?
3) At what mileage do you start having tranny issues? (OD not engaging or flashing, hard or delay shifting between gears, etc).
4) Any other problem?

I love the versatility, safety, and comfort of this great family car, but reliability in all honesty sucks! But I'm not a chevy or dodge guy... so any sign of improvement over the above issues and I may get another one.
Thanks..

I would also agree with the much improved reliability (2006 V8 4x 84k miles)

Going Strong

31,000 on 2008 Limited. Two minor cosmetic issues with the interior and nothing else.

One of the interior issues was the replacement of both vanity mirrors which Ford did with no problem.

31,000 on 2008 Limited. Two minor cosmetic issues with the interior and nothing else.

One of the interior issues was the replacement of both vanity mirrors which Ford did with no problem.

Thanks for your replies.

I look at a 2007 Iron mind edition and, IMHO, it resembles many things but an iron man.
An iron man should look tough and resistant! The thing looks "brittle" and some parts look "cheap".

Finishing on my 2002 looks better.

Ford is loosing attention to details on external components. But I can forgive that if mechanical reliability is good, and it seems that it is based on your replies, although 30K+ miles is not much. 84K in the other hand is not bad, not bad.

Thanks!

Mine has about 75,000 on it now, bought it at 63,300. No real problems so far, only stuff that was messed up when I bought the car. (Needed rear defroster wire attached, still needs tranny reprogram, and the A/C makes noises sometimes, but works perfectly fine). Interior is pretty cheap, but does the job. The door handles are in a bad spot. There isn't enough space where the shifter is. But I love it.

Back