Considering Buying a '95 Ranger 4X4 - Need Advice! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Considering Buying a '95 Ranger 4X4 - Need Advice!

acleme1

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Ranger XLT
Hello everyone. After reading through some posts, it looks like I'm in the right place. I am considering buying a 1995 Ford Ranger XLT, but I am having some reservations because of a few problems it has. I was wondering if someone out there could look over the problems, and give me some sound advice as to whether I should buy this truck. Here's the situation:

FACTS:
1995 Ford Ranger XLT
4X4 Automatic Transmission
4.0L V6
137,000 Miles
$3,750.00 asking price.

THE GOOD:
Interior looks like a new truck.
Exterior in good condition.
Engine clean and looks great.
I can tell it has been well-cared for.
One-owner.
All service records were kept and are available.
Overall, it's a nice looking truck that seems to be well cared for.

THE BAD (potentially)...
1. After driving for a long period of time (1-2 hours) in high outdoor temperatures (above 85), the owner says that the transmission slips when shifting from 2nd into 3rd. He says it doesn't do it in the winter, and not very often in the summer. The owner says it's been doing this for the last 60,000 miles, and that I shouldn't worry about it.

2. Once again, after driving for a long period of time (1-2 hours) in high outdoor temperatures (above 85), the owner says that when you come to a stop, like at a convenience store, that the truck will not idle at low speeds. It sputters and dies. Once the truck cools, everything is fine again. And once again, the owner says it's been doing this for the last 60,000 miles, and that I shouldn't worry about it.

3. When I took it for a test drive, I noticed a "clunk" in the back when coming to a complete stop, and then again when starting again. It kinda feels like there something in the bed that's rolling around.

Well, that's about it. I'm worried about buying the truck because of the problems listed above. What do you guys think. It's a good-looking truck at a fair price - just not sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...first i would ask the owner what he did to the truck about 60,000 miles ago...;)

...the idle problem doesn't sound serious but being an automatic i would be thinking the tranny needs rebuilt...:scratch:
...as for other questions try to nail him down on hwy/city milage...the autos don't get as good a gas milage as the stick...about 12city/16hwy normally with a little heavy foot...also find out what the rear end gears are...it's also important for milage, same as the tire size...
...as for the milage thats ok...price i think is high when you find out a tranny price...and have you checked it out for rust???
i paid 1500 less for a good running singl cab xl, 145,00 mi., 4x4 in calif. last year ...let us know...:D

hey tbars. thanks for the input. i did ask about the mpg. he swears it gets 19/20 religiously. he seems like a pretty honest guy...retired vietnam vet.

there's a spot of rust about 6" round just to the right of the rear bumper on the passenger side. i didn't crawl under it yet. anything i should be looking out for in particular?

i think i'll take it to a garage and let them check it out before i buy it. problem is...i don't know a good mechanic around here. maybe i'll take it to a ford dealership. how can they tell (or how can i tell for that matter) if the tranny is going to need to be rebuilt? thanks, ac.

...in mi. you should be looking underneath for lot's of rust...btw, that clunking at stop/takeoff is probably a bad u-joint...as for gas milage on a auto, it will not get that high of milage,,,read my signature and i've got a gas miser...the 4.0 sticks get almost as good as mine without the tranny problem but the auto gets 3-4 mpg less on avg...
...thre are two guys on here that can give you tranny info, glacier and brooklynbay...if you take it in see if they will read the codes AND, the tranny codes...it will probably cost a bit though...:D

I agree about the U-joints, best to replace both of the mwhile you have the driveshaft out, I paid $900 for a 4x2 4.0/AT/ext.cab/xlt in 2004, it was 2003 model, but I bought it off a woman who's husband had recently died and left the proceeds from the sale of the truck to his girlfriend. I guess that just teaches us all if you're gonna sell something and leave the money to your girlfriend I guess you shouldn't leave your wife as the executress of your will huh?

I had a '96 Explorer with the same engine and trans. At 118k miles my trans started to do the same thing. I took it to my trans guy who advised me that they rarely go over 120k miles without needing a rebuild, and his price to do it was $2,500. If the bearings in the transfer case are also worn out that could be another $1,000.

It may be less at one of the chains, but you might call around and
keep those amounts in mind as you negotiate the sale.

First off, I had a 95 ranger and with some minor suspension mods, it is such a great truck!!!

Anyway when you crawl in the truck check the frame closely, especially the rear where the leafs mount to the frame. they have a bad problem with the powder coat pealing and rusting out, same thing with the shackles in the back. Also look at the radius arm bushings they will probably need to be replaced, if it has an auto 4x4 system make sure you run it through it's paces and that everything is locking in correctly. if it has a manual 4x4 system you are much better off.

The price does seem a little high if the tranny has problems. If he has been driving it for 60K slipping the bands that is really not good. As everyone has said it will probably need a rebuild/replacement.

Back