4.6 liter V8 swap in a 95 ranger 2wd | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6 liter V8 swap in a 95 ranger 2wd

what about the 4R70W auto tranny, how does that compare to a stock auto in a ranger with V6?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

another question,

does anyone know if a 4.0L OHV would bolt up to a 4R70W

I do belive the 4R70W is larger in all demensions. Don't quote me on that. No it will not bolt up to the OHV. If it did, all Explorer tranny problems would be solved by now.

Ford_Racing_Guy said:
the transmission that is used in my T-bird is the 4R70W, unknown if it would fit in a ranger or not without having to do some modifications to it

With a little banging of the transmisson tunnel by the firewall, relocating the gas pedal and moddin' a transmission mount it fits just fine. I have a 3" body lift which helps a lot. Plus, I mounted the 5.0 as far back as I could in the engine bay.

Good luck, keep us posted.

5.0 + tremec= answer to all your problems

exploderpilot said:
5.0 + tremec= answer to all your problems

The tremec is a great transmission - for 2wd vehicles. You can not run a married t-case with it.

4.6 SOHC into a 2nd gen. body

The SOHC 4.6 heads are very close in size(externally) as the DOHC 4.6.

I agree that the 2nd gen frame rails will not let the 4.6 go into our vehicles.

I have had thoughts of using the 5R55W(4.6 V8) trans behind my 4.0 SOHC. I gather that the bolt pattern is the same, but there are two other problems. There is a difference with the starter patterns, so a modified starter would probably have to be made. The biggest hurdle I found was that Superchips suggested that the two transmissions used two different PCM programs.
I thought that they would have virtually the same programming requirements, so I am not completely convinced.

I have had wishes to swap a 2nd gen. body onto a wrecked 3rd gen. chassis. I think that's the best possibility to get the 4.6 into a 2nd gen.

Take several measurements first. Keep us informed, and good luck.
DonW

hahah this thread is cracking me up.......

Any of you guys want a pic of a 1999 DOHC 4.6 next to a 1996 Explorer 5.0 engine?

i thought it was 2wd?

Back