4.6 liter V8 swap in a 95 ranger 2wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6 liter V8 swap in a 95 ranger 2wd

Ford_Racing_Guy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spencer, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT & '98 XLT AWD
so...i'm thinking about buying back my old ranger from my aunt,

and i was thinking how sweet it would be to pull the engine and tranny out of my t-bird that i wrecked recently (that is if nothing is damaged, haven't gotten the hood open yet)

now i've heard about 302 swaps and i was wondering how difficult it would be to put in a 4.6L, with all the computer and electronic stuff,

has anyone on here done this or know of someone who has swapped in a 4.6?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford_Racing_Guy said:
so...i'm thinking about buying back my old ranger from my aunt,

and i was thinking how sweet it would be to pull the engine and tranny out of my t-bird that i wrecked recently (that is if nothing is damaged, haven't gotten the hood open yet)

now i've heard about 302 swaps and i was wondering how difficult it would be to put in a 4.6L, with all the computer and electronic stuff,

has anyone on here done this or know of someone who has swapped in a 4.6?

It will not fit. It has to do with the frame is too narrow and the 4.6 is way to wide. Stick with the 5.0 ;)

i've posted it on a different site as well rangerpowersports.com,

and it seems to never have been done before, many have thought about it as well,

there is actually a guy that is attempting to put a 4.6 DOHC out of a lincoln in his 98 Ranger,

so if that works my SOHC should fit in one without too much trouble,

the reason that i wanna use the 4.6 is because i already have it, i'd just have to pull it out of my car

ANYTHING Is possible, it just depends on how much you want to hack out of that ranger.
The 4.6L is HUGE, the heads are huge and it is a very very wide engine
So sitting it on the frame rails and being able to clear the fenders and the hood is the challenge.

Of course it can be made to fit, but its not likely going to bolt in like a 5.0L can be made to do...

Someone had a pic of the size difference between the 5.0 and 4.6. When I saw it I knew doing a 4.6 in the ranger would be way too out of my league.

The 5.0 is tight enough.

One thing alot of people look at is the DOHC one is wider than the SOHC 4.6 Liter. I beileve that the SOHC engine can fit with moving some things around. Maybe move the Windshield Washer Fluid or something. I am looking into a 2002 4.6 Liter Explorer Engine for the Aluminum block for like$1,995 brand new. My 5R55E Tranny will bolt up to it so thats no problem just getting it to fit in there. **** I will re locate the battery and make it work. The thing that makes me think it would work is they have put Modular engines in the old Fox Body stangs and there small. Even the DOHC Cobra engine fit and our Explorer's don;t have strut tower's to mess us up.

Slush Box said:
My 5R55E Tranny will bolt up to it so thats no problem...

:eek:

You don't want the 5R series tranny behind it, believe me. Stock or Modified, it will not hold up.

As for size, 302 vs. 4.6DOHC

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 11,008

Holding up to the power isnt really an issue since a 5r55e will not bolt up to any 4.6l

If 4.6 trannys could bolt up to our 4.0 engines (and vice versa), no one here would still have a stock X automatic.

Doug said:
Holding up to the power isnt really an issue since a 5r55e will not bolt up to any 4.6l

Then how's the 5R bolt up to the new 4.6 Explorers?

5-Speed Manual. I though we were talking autos here?

if you read the discription it sounds like they changed the whole bellhousing design

What transmission is that??? first off 3rd gen explorers/mountaineers aren't even available with a 5spd. Secondly it looks like it doesn't even have the extension housing. I did a search online for m5r4 and couldn't come up with anything. :confused: Hell it doesn't even say in that auction what motor it's for, and they only want 450 for it. Seems kinda shady.

Oh yeah and the bell housing looks very very similiar to the pattern on the 4.0 ohv/ohc motors.

From what I understand the new 04 Explorer 4 doors have th option for a 4.6 liter SOHC V8. It has a 5 Speed Automatic behind it. Only 5 speed Auto that Ford has right now is the 5R55E which is what my 2001 Sport has. So what makes you think that it won't bolt up when it does. That picture shows the DOHC not the SOHC next to the OHV 5.0. The SOHC isn't as wide as the DOHC but yes it is wider than the 302. I say it can be done and will work on trying it out.

Also the new Mustangs will be sporting the SOHC 4.0 with a 5R55S Tranny which would be in the console instead of the column. Ok well the V8 one will also be using the 5R55S Tranny and thats behind a 300 horsepower 4.6 3 Valve Engine so I don't see why the 5R55E Transmission won't hold up.

Doug said:
What transmission is that??? first off 3rd gen explorers/mountaineers aren't even available with a 5spd. Secondly it looks like it doesn't even have the extension housing. I did a search online for m5r4 and couldn't come up with anything. :confused: Hell it doesn't even say in that auction what motor it's for, and they only want 450 for it. Seems kinda shady.

Oh yeah and the bell housing looks very very similiar to the pattern on the 4.0 ohv/ohc motors.

Hmmm i dont know then.. I was just paying attention to the discrption

Yes, early '02 XLSs had an option for the 5 Speed. They are very rare. I saw one on Autotrader a while back. But they were asking way to much for it.

ok that picture doesn't do me much justice when its a 4.6 DOHC,

i have the 4.6 SOHC which has much smaller heads,

the transmission that is used in my T-bird is the 4R70W, unknown if it would fit in a ranger or not without having to do some modifications to it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 5 speed was available on early '02 XLSs. I've seen a handful of them. So don't count that out.

Yes, that was a DOHC. But still compare block sizes. Its massive.

Back