Considering Purchase of 04 XLT... BUT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Considering Purchase of 04 XLT... BUT

BCWrenchead

Reaction score
City, State
nanaimo, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Looking
Basically is a perfect vehicle for wife & I... ~70,000kms (maybe = 50000 miles). Really worried about the bad press the transmission has been getting..
- are they really that bad?
- is it only the 04 that is having the problems
- when they get re-built (assuming well qualified shop) are the inherant problems rectified with the re-build kits?
- have they been overcriticized because of a "here we go again" mentality based on the first generation (mid-90's) transmission epidemic?

Thanks all - some great advice in here already!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the transmissions were better in the 04s

From what Ive read on this board, its the 02's and early 03's that have the majority of the problems.

My dad had his 02 done at 60k miles. Total rebuild, $2500

But my 04 has no problems. Im at 67k now.

My 04 has 97K miles on original trans. It has had one valve solenoid body put in it, and had the fluid flushed regularly. There are sure a lot of them on the roads, so the odds of reading about bad ones goes up quite a bit.

My 2002 V6 Eddie Bauer with ~63,400 miles purchased new by me has had virtually no issues - and the transmission is fine. One cannot tell the problem rate of a vehicle by internet message boards such as this as self selection makes those with issues post while those with no issues just drive the truck.

Rumple

Again with the false metrics. Not many people waste their time on car complaints.com when it comes to a minor issue. However let the trans go, and they are hot for a place to vent about it. Im not saying these are the most durable trans out there, but these metrics are not accurate at all.

In our 02 we had the trans solenoid block replaced at about 90,000 miles and we are up to 145,000 miles now and it is still running great. Just flush the fluid regularly and you really shouldn't have a problem.

I have an ’04 and this may answer your questions - I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one same year too. Even rebuilding the trans for 1600 but I really beat on mine. According to the Trans guy they are putting in lighter parts to increase mpg. . .its hard to say, a lot don’t have any problems. Master Rebuild kits installed by a GOOD rebuilder should be fine, mine runs great. I won't really know for another 6 years and 100k more miles.

Ya - obviously I have seen that but thanks. The only thin one can take out of that is the ratio of trans problems / all other problems. when you look at the massive jump from body, etc to trans problems - its kind of hard to ignore...
After sleeping on this and looking through the forums here, it seems as though maintenance is key (leave it to ford to stipulate trans flush/fluid change only every 100k - outrageous even for the most durable transmission!!!) - considerably low cost for the piece of mind coupled with odds of increased longevity

So... Wife & I are officially in the market for one of these (mostly thanks to the incredible info available from everyone on this website - cant believe some of talent that is on here!!).

Two questions:
1) Would you say it is a good idea to replace the Trans solenoid Block right away (even if it seems to be shifting fine)? or would one go by the "if it aint broke, dont fix it" mentality?
2) If we go with the 4.6L V8 - are there any bad-ass exhaust kits out there that ppl have used successfully? If im gonna drive a glorified station-wagon (I say that about ANY SUV), I want it at least sound cool!

thanks to all for your help!!!

It's though to say about the tranny, I got my solenoids changed on esp at 72000 miles and my overdrive servo fell apart on me causing a flashing overdrive code, no 2nd or 5th gear, I got it changed right away and no harm was done. I really think you have to change oil every 30000 miles or so, based on the fact I work as a hydraulics teacher, contamination is the #1 cause for break downs and this auto trans is a perfect example or an electrohydraulic system. These need very clean oil and no high temperatures in order to last.

As for exhaust systems, I just put a magnaflow SI/SO 2-1/2" diameter in and out, 4"x9" oval body, 14" long, and I fell in love with it the moment I cranked the engine over!! :D It sounds freaking awesome, It's sort of a mix between a mustang sound and a big hemi sound, fat and mellow, doesn't bellow unless you get on it, and when you do you'll think your driving a monster truck!

Just crazy good sounding, pratically no drone while cruising, gf approved and she hates loud stuff. Now I know for sure its a v8 in there, its insane good sounding!

Good luck, and don't get the v6, no offense to 4.0 owners, big truck like big engines for fuel economy.

It's though to say about the tranny, I got my solenoids changed on esp at 72000 miles and my overdrive servo fell apart on me causing a flashing overdrive code, no 2nd or 5th gear, I got it changed right away and no harm was done. I really think you have to change oil every 30000 miles or so, based on the fact I work as a hydraulics teacher, contamination is the #1 cause for break downs and this auto trans is a perfect example or an electrohydraulic system. These need very clean oil and no high temperatures in order to last.

As for exhaust systems, I just put a magnaflow SI/SO 2-1/2" diameter in and out, 4"x9" oval body, 14" long, and I fell in love with it the moment I cranked the engine over!! :D It sounds freaking awesome, It's sort of a mix between a mustang sound and a big hemi sound, fat and mellow, doesn't bellow unless you get on it, and when you do you'll think your driving a monster truck!

Just crazy good sounding, pratically no drone while cruising, gf approved and she hates loud stuff. Now I know for sure its a v8 in there, its insane good sounding!

Good luck, and don't get the v6, no offense to 4.0 owners, big truck like big engines for fuel economy.

Do you have a part number for that Magnaflow? This is going to be one of my next mods.

The part number is magnaflow #14326, 2-1/2" si/so, 4"x9" oval body, 14" muffler, 20" overall I think. Real easy to install and honestly I don't regret not getting a catback, this was much cheaper and I get to keep my torque.

with the 4.6 you won't regret it.

Btw, mine is stainless and polished, but you can also get stainless unpolished or crappy aluminized steel (different part numbers though.)

Good luck and enjoy :thumbsup:

I'll try and post some sounds this weekend.

You will like the 4.6, ive had one and its a great engine. However lets not get carried away, the fuel economy is impossible to argue. The 4.0 owns in that category. Its not like the old 300 I6 vs 302 argument, the 302 would win there. (300 made more torque)
Anyhow, I wouldn't replace the solenoid pack until it dies. Ours went at 20K miles, others go 120K miles. Impossible to guess.
My biggest piece of advice shopping for an Explorer is to listen closely for grinding, groaning, whining noises. The bearings like to go in these, and the rear ends get noisy fast. It will sound almost like 4x4 tires when the bearings are failing. You cant tell by feel as there wont be any play in the tires either. Hope you find one you like!

Yeah, the bearing will let you know in a hurry they are failing, mine sounded like I was sitting in a propeller plane at 60mph. I'd recommend one with a towing package if you can find one, its worth it just for the trans cooler (the 3.73 gears are great too)

btw the muffler is center/offset, it fits right up to the old pipes that way, all you'll need is about 10" of pipe in the back

Two questions:
1) Would you say it is a good idea to replace the Trans solenoid Block right away (even if it seems to be shifting fine)? or would one go by the "if it aint broke, dont fix it" mentality?
2) If we go with the 4.6L V8 - are there any bad-ass exhaust kits out there that ppl have used successfully? If im gonna drive a glorified station-wagon (I say that about ANY SUV), I want it at least sound cool!

1) if ain't broke, don't fix it

2) Flowmaster 40 series sounds pretty bad ass, there are a few sound clips on the site of some 4.6's w/ 40 series. MAC also makes a nice 2.5" cat-back kit that's relatively cheap ($260 for ExplorerExpress)

Two questions:

1) If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But be aware for any problems that it may cause and jump on it immediately
2) A MAC Flowpath muffler should make that thing sound real nice. Every 4.6 motor I've ever heard that muffler on sounded awesome, including both of mine.

You will like the 4.6, ive had one and its a great engine. However lets not get carried away, the fuel economy is impossible to argue. The 4.0 owns in that category. Its not like the old 300 I6 vs 302 argument, the 302 would win there. (300 made more torque)
Anyhow, I wouldn't replace the solenoid pack until it dies. Ours went at 20K miles, others go 120K miles. Impossible to guess.
My biggest piece of advice shopping for an Explorer is to listen closely for grinding, groaning, whining noises. The bearings like to go in these, and the rear ends get noisy fast. It will sound almost like 4x4 tires when the bearings are failing. You cant tell by feel as there wont be any play in the tires either. Hope you find one you like!

not true.. my 4.6 gets 2mpg better then a v6 explorer when driven normal get on it and yea it uses fuel. also lots of play side to side when wheel bearings go just did a rear yesterday up and down not so much also could feel it just by rotating tire (truck on hoist)

our 02 has 100k on it and no problems with the tranny or motor

You defy the laws of normality. Better mileage and bad bearings by feel. Most Explorer owners wont be so lucky. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not true.. my 4.6 gets 2mpg better then a v6 explorer when driven normal get on it and yea it uses fuel. also lots of play side to side when wheel bearings go just did a rear yesterday up and down not so much also could feel it just by rotating tire (truck on hoist)

I have to agree with fordblue here...my V8 does not do as well a few rental
V6s I've driven and I couldn't feel (heard them) the bearings and they were both shot (heard a little noise on a lift when spinning the tires but that was it).

Back