Consumer Reports lambastes CUE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Consumer Reports lambastes CUE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I take CR with a grain of salt. I stopped reading their reports on vehicles long ago. CR for the most part is pro Japanese and European and biased towards American car companies. I watched the youtube video and thought the reviewers complaints about CUE were a bit ridiculous.

I think a lot of these reviewers who are negative about CUE and MFT belong to the crowd that dislikes all this new in vehicle technology.

I've played around with CUE and I found it to work very well.

Yah, whatever. That guy is a douchebag. He has a face that you just wanna punch.

Haha broken strut!

I think it proves (and this is more or less why I shared this) that CR and other auto critics are the "get off my lawn" types who are resistent to change and that the crappy reviews of MFT aren't necessarily reflective of the technology so much as it's reflective of their attitudes towards it.

There is a learning curve with ANY system and these guys try it a couple of times and then lambaste it. Toyota is having plenty of issues with Entune but you don't here about that in CR...

There is a learning curve with ANY system and these guys try it a couple of times and then lambaste it. Toyota is having plenty of issues with Entune but you don't here about that in CR...

In fact, I haven't heard anything about entune at all. I'm a bit curious.... what issues are they having.

We have Entune in a Prius of ours. We dont however use the iphone app, so we dont use Pandora or anything. The only real problem we have is that sometimes it takes forever to automatically pair with our iphone once we enter the car, sometimes its almost instant, and sometimes, it doesnt happen. Other than that, its never reboot, its never locked up, everything is relatively quick when changing between screens and such, and we never had a problem with voice commands.

Hmmmmm...I am wondering about driving around all day with a 4G LTE NAV system, what is my data bill going to look like at the end of the month considering no more unlimited data plans?

"Speaking of navigation, 4G is fast enough, and promises to be pervasive enough, to do away with SD- and DVD-based navigation systems entirely."

I don't see what the benefit is, other than GM getting to bill you per month for Navigation. I suppose the maps could update automatically? I can't imagine it's that much cheaper, and really, is popping a new SD card into a slot really all that difficult?

"GM believes that wide-spread applications of in-vehicle 4G LTE connectivity “will enable vehicles to interact directly with their environment to enhance safety, efficiency and convenience for drivers and passengers. 4G LTE will make services such as real-time traffic and navigation updates possible, pulling information from the cloud.”

Real time traffic is already available with Sirius. Granted its not perfect, but the reason for that is the source data, not the lack of a car's ability to get the information. Real time navigation is doable (a.l.a. sync directions), but I question the benefit of that over an SD card based system.

"And as long as we’re talking about what’s possible, what about a dash cam that provides a live stream or a replay of what’s happening with the car?"
This could work for vehicles that are both stationary (parked) or in motion (driving), and could be made available to owners, parents of concerned teenaged drivers, and even insurance companies investigating an accident."

just when I think OnStar couldn't get any creepier or violate my privacy any more..... they just keep coming up with more ways.

To me this seems like a way for GM to force consumers to pay a monthly fee for services that already exist and are free (or lower cost).

Back