Convert trip meter from miles to km? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Convert trip meter from miles to km?

vikingswede

Reaction score
City, State
Sweden
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Hi all.

I will likely buy a "new" Explorer while in the US this summer, either a 2005 or 2006. Now, I wonder if anyone know how I could change the trip-meter/computer to display kilometers instead of miles without taking it to a dealership and paying a fortune to get it done.

It doesn't matter much to me but since I'm exporting it to Sweden it would be better for me to have it in kilometers. Swedish DMV regulations, better value once I sell it later on etc.

Appreciate any help I could get.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my '02 EB you can change from Miles to KM using the message center setup menu. It's a few simple steps and you can find them in your manual when you buy your truck. You can even change the language.

Like neonarc said, any X that has a Message Center (it would have three buttons next to the radio, on the driver's side) can be changed between miles/km using the menu on the MC.

I believe that it's standard on EBs and Limiteds, and is an option on the XLT (I have it on my XLT, but I don't think that it's standard).

Wonderful! I was worried I'd need to do some other magic...
Thanks a lot you two.

Like neonarc said, any X that has a Message Center (it would have three buttons next to the radio, on the driver's side) can be changed between miles/km using the menu on the MC.

I believe that it's standard on EBs and Limiteds, and is an option on the XLT (I have it on my XLT, but I don't think that it's standard).

thank you, I have found where it says metric and English which now has a check next to metric. I do not know how to change the check to english

thank you, I have found where it says metric and English which now has a check next to metric. I do not know how to change the check to english

You might need to press the button that says "RESET" to change the value. My dad's 2005 XLT has the Message Center and I know whenever I do an oil change and reset the computer, it says "Press Reset to clear." If that doesn't do it, check the owner's manual (if you got one with it).

Back