Converting a 2000 trailhead to 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Converting a 2000 trailhead to 4x4

norcalbronco

Reaction score
City, State
Sebastopol, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ranger XLT
I was wondering if anyone has ever converted the trailhead edition ranger to a 4wd?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm, what makes the Trailhead edition different from a regular Ranger?

Its basically a model year 2000 Edge 2wd.

Added appeal comes from the optional Trailhead Group. This 4x2 model with a torsion bar suspension gives the 4x2 the tough look of its 4x4 cousin. Ride height and ground clearance are different from that of conventional 4x2s. The Trailhead sits higher on bigger tires, clearly heightening appeal with Ranger buyers who want that 4x4 look, but don't need the off-road capabilities. The Trailhead Group includes:

* Torsion Bar Front Suspension (similar to 4x4)
* AM/FM stereo with CD
* Styled manual mirrors
* Tachometer
* 4x4 "Off-Road" front tow hooks
* 4x4 "Off-Road" P245/75R 16SL OWL all-terrain tires
* Five-spoke cast aluminum 16-inch wheels
* 4x4-style argent bumpers and grille
* Fog Lamps
* Payload Package #2

The first thing I would look at would be the frame were the front diff resides. Since this truck uses torsion bars, I wonder if the frame is a 4x4 frame? (Is there a difference in frames?) If so, chances are, it is a bolt-on conversion.

Gen 1 and Gen 2 frames were all the same, 4x2 or 4x4, 1983 - 1997.

Did some more research on this, the suspension part seems fairly easy, but between needing a transfercase, different transmission, computer and possibly some wiring seems like too much of a pain.

The only reason I ask is my gf's dad has one that just sits around, and its a standard cab, short bed, white, 3.0 that sits higher than my 4x4! So I've always kinda pondered talking him out of it but not having 4wd sucks when you wanna go have some fun.

I wish my 96 was a standard cab, the extra wheelbase from the extended cab sucks and I hardly ever use the extra space :p I couldn't find a single standard cab 4x4 ranger when I was looking to buy a few years ago.

Scott, how difficult of trails do you take your super cab on? Do you have very many problems with your breakover angle?

That's a loaded question! I've driven several trails at Telico (and have a dent in my rocker panel from one!)

Lifting the truck helps with breakover angle. My truck is not a rockcrawler, so that is not a huge concern of mine. Going up and down steep hills, a longer wheelbase is more stable, as with blasting across the desert.

Each wheelbase has its advantages and disadvantages - you have to drive each truck differently.

I prefer the Super Cab, if not for the wheelbase, for the room inside the cab. I can recline my seats!

Back