Pulling out 2002 AWD system to convert to 2wd | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pulling out 2002 AWD system to convert to 2wd

wait so all i'd have to do is add the transfer case to my existing tranny? are you positive?

that could make thinks much easier as all id have to do then is swap my rear driveshaft add the tcase put in front shaft and put in all the front diff/axels etc

that may be a job i could even do(although i've never really done much under my car besides my body lift...but hey i'm a quick learner)
Its not bad, just turning a few wrenches....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, here is a picture of the BW4410 AWD from 2002+ Explorers. Notice the front mounting pad, it's a huge area that mates straight to the trans. You should be able to see that same large mounting area on your 2WD trans rear housing.

Attachments

• BW4410.JPG
    BW4410.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,216

ok so i've been reading up on awd systems today and keep seeing different things..

basically how much will this help my traction in muddy conditions...i know a major drawback is no low range...but everytime i've been in a 4x4 goin through mud i've only used 4hi...unless i was pulling someone...so i'm fine with that..

it's just i'm reading that with the center diff..if say my two rear wheels lost traction ..from what i understand the rear would get most/all the power?basically doing nothing...if my rear wheels lost traction i'd want my front wheels to get the power..given they had some traction..

if this is true then awd basically serves me no purpose

AWD works great in about 90% of typical conditions. Only the real hard core off roading gets you in places where two wheels are able to spin(opposite corners), extremely slow inclines etc. Most people love AWD for normal situations, it's not magic but far better than 2WD. I'm swapping to A4WD from AWD, just for a stronger case for high power and more options.

yeah see i don't really know how to classify what i'd use it for ...basically just riding in this huge rutted field ...hitting a few ruts or just to get back to the back where we'll hang out and have a bonfire...however when wet its pretttty tricky to get back there...the only other thing besides that is goin up a fairly steep hill which i can barellly do with it now (2wd)
i just hate how with 2wd im sliding everywhere and i have to constantly steer left/right just to keep a straight line.. its so much easier with a 4x bc you can just drive

but yeah id go with a 4wd transfer case if i could...but that wouldn't work on my 02 bc all the electronics i'm missing...if they made a manual t-case i'd do that..
or if you could manage say to air lock the center diff of the awd case...thatd be pretty sweet i must say:)

The AWD has a viscous clutch that resists any change in speed of each end. It does a good job of making some of the power go to the front. The front then pulls(helps) instead of plowing(drags). You will need a better rear differential before the AWD becomes a hindrance. Surely you have a traction lock now to be able to go up any hills or through fields.

The AWD has a viscous clutch that resists any change in speed of each end. It does a good job of making some of the power go to the front. The front then pulls(helps) instead of plowing(drags). You will need a better rear differential before the AWD becomes a hindrance. Surely you have a traction lock now to be able to go up any hills or through fields.

nope i'm all stock with an open diff right now...just some agressive tires

i honestly think a locker would do you just as much good. spinning both rear tires to keep momentuim and spinning one front and one rear is basically the same thing.

if there was an actual t case id feel different but since theres not good scouting and hard throttle runs should get you through everything you describe. sounds like its just slick conditions no rocks no climbs.

i honestly think a locker would do you just as much good. spinning both rear tires to keep momentuim and spinning one front and one rear is basically the same thing.

if there was an actual t case id feel different but since theres not good scouting and hard throttle runs should get you through everything you describe. sounds like its just slick conditions no rocks no climbs.

what good is 2 rear tires in the a mudhole spinning, better than possibly a front tire in a good traction spot to help pull.

what good is 2 rear tires in the a mudhole spinning, better than possibly a front tire in a good traction spot to help pull.

yeah like 2 of the 4 times I've been stuck my front wheels are on fairly solid ground with my back two still in the rut...it was annoying knowing that it'd be sooo easy to get out with a 4wd..

the only problem i have with lockers is this a my only car, therefore my dd and i don't feel like dealing with the engaging/disengaging of the locker on pavement ( and i don't wanna drop so much money on a air locker,not to mention its not something i could put in)

yeah like 2 of the 4 times I've been stuck my front wheels are on fairly solid ground with my back two still in the rut...it was annoying knowing that it'd be sooo easy to get out with a 4wd..

the only problem i have with lockers is this a my only car, therefore my dd and i don't feel like dealing with the engaging/disengaging of the locker on pavement ( and i don't wanna drop so much money on a air locker,not to mention its not something i could put in)
Thats why the awd would be so good, great value & awd all the time, no electronics. We have no use for it where I'm at, this entire county doesn't change 30 foot in elevation from its lowest to highest point. Everything here is flat & i don't play in the mud. I decided to go to 2wd so that I could put it on my dyno & do some R&D for parts & tuning.

that would be why i mentioned momentum. if your in mud were your front tires are on solid ground and your rears are in a hole well, i wouldn't consider that a mud hole. no offense just my opinion. if all 4 tires are in a hole and you can maintain the same speed as a 4wd you will go just as far. I mud dragged my old 2wd and bogged it competitively in 2wd classes. I routinely went were alot of 4wds did on a proper setup and technique.

extra driving tires just help keep the momentuim up, theres no doubt true 4wd is better but a powertrax locker is about 300.00 verse transfer case, electronics, axle shafts and most likley a different nuckle. for all that work i would take anything out of a truck i wanted and swap it to a new upgraded truck would be alot easier and probable less headache.

that would be why i mentioned momentum. if your in mud were your front tires are on solid ground and your rears are in a hole well, i wouldn't consider that a mud hole. no offense just my opinion. if all 4 tires are in a hole and you can maintain the same speed as a 4wd you will go just as far. I mud dragged my old 2wd and bogged it competitively in 2wd classes. I routinely went were alot of 4wds did on a proper setup and technique.

extra driving tires just help keep the momentuim up, theres no doubt true 4wd is better but a powertrax locker is about 300.00 verse transfer case, electronics, axle shafts and most likley a different nuckle. for all that work i would take anything out of a truck i wanted and swap it to a new upgraded truck would be alot easier and probable less headache.

hah actually they were pretty deep holes...i just had the bad luck of losing my momentum RIGHT before i was out of it..

but yea the locker is still an option for me ..it's just hard for me to decide..

part of me just wants to throw in a locker and be done with it..

the main reason i'd lean with the locker is bc i cant really get true 4wd..

butt i really want the awd to improve handling on slick trails (so i dont slide so much)

It was taken out in less than 3 hours & everything is truely bolt on, NO electronics. I didn't think it was too bad, remove rear tranny tail, bolt on transfer case, bolt in front drive axle, bolt in front & rear driveshaft, & slide in the front 2 axles, bolt to hub & off you go, I thought it was pretty straight forward, for once Ford made it actually easy to do something.

you dont happen to know if the awd and 4wd transfer cases are interchangeable do you?

bc i'm thinking theres GOT to be a way to engage the 4wd case without all the computers and crap..ik auto 4wd wouldn't work but you'd think theres a way to shift it to 4hi and 4lo w/o the electronics..

if there is i'd get all this awd stuff and just swap out the tcase later

you dont happen to know if the awd and 4wd transfer cases are interchangeable do you?

bc i'm thinking theres GOT to be a way to engage the 4wd case without all the computers and crap..ik auto 4wd wouldn't work but you'd think theres a way to shift it to 4hi and 4lo w/o the electronics..

if there is i'd get all this awd stuff and just swap out the tcase later

Not sure, I would imagine you'd be looking at a different case & computer, this case is strictly a viscous clutch no electronics.

I have a 2002 mecerury mountaineer awd and I'm replacing the tranny with a 2004 ford explorer2wd ....they are the same tranny but the ford one has a longer shaft in the center...my question is can I convert it to a 2wd if with the ford transmission with a different driveshaft?

I have a 2002 mecerury mountaineer awd and I'm replacing the tranny with a 2004 ford explorer2wd ....they are the same tranny but the ford one has a longer shaft in the center...my question is can I convert it to a 2wd if with the ford transmission with a different driveshaft?
Is the output shaft on 2002+ transmissions still longer on 2WD versions? You do have to change the driveshaft to convert 2WD to/from 4WD in any case.

Good morning. I have removed the front drivetrain on my 05 Explorer XLT thinking I could convert to a 2wd. The 05 has 165,000 miles and most everything is worn out. But the body is in great shape. I just replaced all of the bushings in the front end and put the drivetrain parts out in the back yard. But I am learning it may not be that easy to just simply remove the hardware. I will replace the rear differential with a remanufactured one. I want to replace the transmisison with a 2wd and totally remove the transfer case. Is it true that I a may be facing PCM signal issues with this drastic mod? I have been searching for good advice and ask for guidence. Im 63 and really have no business out where I would need 4wd. I stay home when the weather is bad. So a dependable 2wd Explorer to drive good gravel roads is what I want. Thank you for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back