98 awd to 4x4 transfer case mods? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 awd to 4x4 transfer case mods?

Shouldn’t be any bends in the shaft.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The trouble is finding one with the correct bend in it to get past the torsion bar key
what do you mean bend? they aint supposed to bend...

I think it was a joke, the 1356 is too big and the shaft would hit the torsion bar frame parts. That's how I took it to mean.

I think it was a joke, the 1356 is too big and the shaft would hit the torsion bar frame parts. That's how I took it to mean.
oh, whoops 🤣 🤣 🤣 does that mean its 4406time?

Yeah I don't know the older TC's at all, and the 4406 is a known great fit already.

I am now looking at using the np231 from a 6 cylinder jeep. I dont have one and I need to get the measurement between the center of the input and the center of the front output. There are several conversion kits for toploader to jeep 231 and it looks small beside a 1356.
The bend was a joke but I did look at running a 2 piece shaft with a center bearing for the front

I think the 242 is a better unit. The part time 4 wheel drive torque rating is identical to the 231 and would allow fulltime 4 wheel drive. In my jeep, I use the fulltime in heavy rain, on ice or hauling ass on a winding road with sharp curves.

I think the 242 is a better unit. The part time 4 wheel drive torque rating is identical to the 231 and would allow fulltime 4 wheel drive. In my jeep, I use the fulltime in heavy rain, on ice or hauling ass on a winding road with sharp curves.
Whats the size difference between the 2?
Righ now I am searching for the measurement of the distance between the input and front out put. Any chance you have a case to measure?

Whats the size difference between the 2?
Righ now I am searching for the measurement of the distance between the input and front out put. Any chance you have a case to measure?
I have 1 still attached to a transmission. I could rough measure it.

9.5 inches center to center. Overall case size is similar between the 231 and 242. If you get a 242 J the older yokes won't fit the front. I found that out when I converted my jeep from cv joints to a double cardan. The 249 has the correct yoke.

20220623_170805.jpg

Why not just use the same t case that has been used in dozens of swaps and proven? Trying new things will invariably bring headaches, like the case you have being too large. The 4406 is a guaranteed fit.

Why not just use the same t case that has been used in dozens of swaps and proven? Trying new things will invariably bring headaches, like the case you have being too large. The 4406 is a guaranteed fit.
^^^^^dont try to reinvent the wheel

Swapping in a 242 would be easy. Change the input shaft on the transfer case to a 31 spline and bolt it up. Novak makes a nice shifter.

There is no guarentee the 4406 will fit either. I am using a mustang 3.8 v6 with a toploader. The motor and trans sit 5” lower than a stock explorer setup.

There is no guarentee the 4406 will fit either. I am using a mustang 3.8 v6 with a toploader. The motor and trans sit 5” lower than a stock explorer setup.
Oh, well that changes everything. You’ve already opened the can of worms. Proceed wildly, and take lots of pics.

I would run a Ford NP205 that sucker is compact and will fit for sure. Can be twin sticked too
Harder to find these days

I put a 5.0/4r70w and twin sticked np205 into a 84 Ranger its a wicked cool daily driver.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back