98 awd to 4x4 transfer case mods? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 awd to 4x4 transfer case mods?

Interesting! I was just going by what I have seen with 3.8 sc going into rangers I guess it was incorrect or are these two different 3.8 engines

With conversions like this it will be up to you to make some parts very likely
Thanks for the follow up reply. I too read about the 3.8 into the ranger conversion and in it he says he used 1985 mustang engine mounts. I just looked at pictures of the 3.8 sc thunderbird mounts and they are very different. They have the same bolt pattern for the block but the rest is completly different and they might work with some minor modifications

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3.8l is a 5.0 missing two cylinders
You need explorer 5.0 mounts and engine plates, I bet those would work and place the new engine correctly

You can use any 31 spline, 6 bolt drivers drop t case np205 np208 1356 or 4406 are the popular choices

Trans extension question, can an adapter made for the NP205, 31 splines, be used for a BW 4406, and 4404? I ask because a brand called Tembren(or close to that), makes a trans adapter to put a 31 spline 205 behind a 6R80 trans. I'm wondering if that adapter might be the mystery part I need for the 6R80, and to keep my AWD to begin with. It's almost $450, but way less than the others running $6-$700 for other TC's. I think it has the mounting pad on the bottom of it also, needed to mount the trans to the cross member.

6 bolt round pattern, it will bolt up. Even the jeep stuff bolts up if you have someone make you a 31 spline input shaft for the transfer case.

I'm hoping for an adapter that will bolt between the 6R80 and a BW 4404/4406 like the stock 4R70 trans extension. There is no small adapter shaft, just the extension between the trans and TC. If the Ford 31 spline NP205 bolts on like the BW4406, then I think the adapter will work that way for me.

I'm hoping for an adapter that will bolt between the 6R80 and a BW 4404/4406 like the stock 4R70 trans extension. There is no small adapter shaft, just the extension between the trans and TC. If the Ford 31 spline NP205 bolts on like the BW4406, then I think the adapter will work that way for me.
That adapter you mentioned will work, a few people do make them. I was looking at doing a 6R80 swap with a transfer case behind a diesel in a Jeep liberty.

If it helps, I carved a stock 4r70w tailhousing out to accept the np205 and twin stick shifters many moons ago
All of these t cases are 31 spline input 6 bolt pattern they all bolt up. I have had to shave 1/4” off the end of a output shaft before to get a full seat I think that was also with the np205

Your awd case will bolt up to any 31 spline output shaft and tailhousing with the 6 bolt pattern

The thunderbird mounts did not work. The left side would not fit with the steering shaft in position. I have the 3.8 sitting in there on mustang mounts. I modified the oil pan to clear the diff. The motor is offset 2 inches to the right. The engine mounts are just sitting on the mounting pads but the motor needs to go back a bit more so I will have to extend the pads back a bit. I hope there will be room to get the nuts on the mounts.
AD0030A0-1B52-4CED-B42C-8902A9F25145.jpeg

What about using the ranger frame mount and making the engine side out of plate steel?

What about using the ranger frame mount and making the engine side out of plate steel?
Tried that but the motor sits too high. The gap between the 2 mounts is not wide enough to get the engine low enough.

Looking at what others have done, you need to put a piece of steel plate where the frame perch is to set the motor back.

Well things have progressed along and also gone backwards a bit. I am trying to find or make engine mounts and find an adapter or transfer case. I have a 3.8 out of a mustang and a toploader out of a 4x4 bronco sitting in the frame. I had read on the ranger forum that the 3.8 will fit with the stock 1984 mustang mounts but it wont for me. The holes for the mounts are too small and the mounts are only half on the mounting area on the frame. If I pull the engine forward to get the mounts on the mounting area the fan is against the radiator. The motor has to go back some more for the trans mount to line up. I am still trying to decide what transfer case to use. I have had no luck finding a 31 to 25 adapter to run the bw4405 or the bw1354. My other choice would be the NP208 if it will fit.
You need a set of Lincoln mounts

so I am going around in circles. I got a bw1356 transfer case but there is no way it will fit. The front shaft wont pass the torsion key mount on the frame. The only way I can get it anywhere near working is if I raise the motor and trans up 5 inches and thats not just going to work. So I am back to trying to find a 27 spline output shaft for the toploader and run the awd trasfer case or find a smaller (distance between input and front shaft output) transfer case. I have looked at shortening up the 1356. I could take 2+ inches out of it and shorten the chain but I dont have anyone local that can weld the cases back together.

You’d need a BW4406 for a 4wd on a V8. I’m sure other cases will bolt up, but the 4406 can be done completely with factory parts.

You’d need a BW4406 for a 4wd on a V8. I’m sure other cases will bolt up, but the 4406 can be done completely with factory parts.
Whats the size difference between the 1356 and 4406?

No clue. The BW4406 definitely fits with extremely minor mods. Never had anything with a 1356.

No clue. The BW4406 definitely fits with extremely minor mods. Never had anything with a 1356.
I ended up with the 1356 because I was told it would fit with minor mods. It will fit but I cant run a front shaft. I dont call that a minor mod

Not sure who told you that, but a few dozen people are running 4406s on herr. Both manual, and e-shift models with automatic 4wd.

I ended up with the 1356 because I was told it would fit with minor mods. It will fit but I cant run a front shaft. I dont call that a minor mod
you can nab the front shaft from a 5.4 (?) expedition the 4406 is aside from shaft a bolt on and go deal, maybe cut a hole to shift but much easier than 1356 i think the 1356 hits the frame and some line i forgot, much harder than the 4406

if I recall (it was like 2001) the 1356 is wider then the 4406.

the 4406 is physically a larger case, more bulky, but the 1356 case is just too wide, it will hit the frame rail, whereas the 4406 fits the ranger and explorer frame without hitting

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back