• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leak has me stumped

grendel75

Reaction score
City, State
texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 eddie 4.6
I noticed what appears to be a small coolant leak that has me puzzled because I can't determine the source. I looks like it's dripping from the same place the ac evap typically drops water from. I can find a few drops of antifreeze that look like they run down from where the transmisson mounts to the engine but, can't locate the source.

It's only leaking a very small amount and only after several hours of the car being parked is their any signs of a leak. I've looked at all the hoses and the front heater core valve and they look ok. It doesn't matter if the "auto" climate control is on or off, the leak appears to be the same.

Any idea's where to look next. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thx.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the thermostat housing mine was leaking at the base of it the rubber seal went & was leaking very slow. i replace the whole unit problem solved

i have to still fix on mine one of the three bolts holding the housing down is broken off into the engine im gonna have to take it all off again get one of those extracting bits i guess to get it out bought a another new seal already & all new 8mm bolts other ones are really rustly must been why it broke

Not sure how high they are on the eng, but did U check for freeze plugs seeping?

My coolant problem was the sensor's o ring went bad and leaked whenever I used the gas pedal. I replaced the whole thermostat housing pretty much for nothing. Try and check that?

Could be the cracked intake manifold, which I think is a fairly common problem on the '02 4.6L. I have it and it leaks maybe a pint every few months and has never gotten worse, drips down from a mystery location near the coolant channel in the front of the manifold and puddles up around the front passenger side injectors.

Best bet on this would be to get a pressure tester and go from there. Without doing the test you will be just guessing

Yup, I've just resided myself to do that. Tired of looking for the mystery leak.

thx,

Just a possibility but I chased what I thought was an atifreeze leak for weeks. Turned out to be oil from the A/C lines as the oil is died green.

Back