Coolant leak; just the gasket? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leak; just the gasket?

tonydp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
Started leaking from lower thermostat housing. Looks straight forward but can I just replace the gasket or does the lower need replaced?

Thanks

IMG_2625.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is only one thermostat housing.. not sure if you're confusing it with the lower intake? but either way yes you can just replace the gasket..

....or take a closer look, i bet it's a hose, gaskets dont often spring a leak like hoses do.

Thanks. When u say lower I mean from the bottom. I will check to see if it's a hose again

if it's from the bottom of the engine (and the front) 90% of the time it's the water pump.

...if you run straight water (no coolant) it's likely you could have a rusted out freeze plug too.

I was thinking i could just unbolt it and replace the gasket. i guess it's more involved

You are better off replacing the lower housing anyways, The lower housing will start leaking like shown on the linked thread.

I just did this yesterday. Very easy and straightforward. Be sure to replace the rubber seal where the new housing mates with the engine, the thermostat, the thermostat O-ring, and the coolant temperature sensor (the O-ring on mine was completely flattened). You can reuse the upper housing. I didn't do a complete drain but I did have to replace about a gallon of fluid that poured out when I disconnected the necessary hoses.

The leak appears to be where the two pieces of the lower housing are glued together.

thanks, i'm wainting for the parts to come in. i just ordered the housing, temp sensor and gasket.

Saved over $100 from US to Canadian dealer, WTF!

did min last night not back the bogest pain in the a$$ was the bypass hose getting to the bottom clamp sucked but other then that pretty easy job. like sethe said replace all the orings and get a new temp senser as the old one will jave a flat washer. oh and btw save your self some money and get the oring and the gasket from autozone they are like 5 bucks for both of them and for wants 15 or so a peice.

Back