• Register Today It's free!

coolant leak lower housing 4.6

rocco123

Reaction score
City, State
Endicott, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT & 2002 Limited
I have an 02 4.6 with a coolant leak below thermostat. Leak is at the lower aluminum housing that spans over to the right side if the engine. I know the manifold does have to ve removed to get to the gasket (hopefully thats all that is bad). Where can I find a plastic manifold with the aluminum crossover that DOES have the pcv valve heater ports in case it is needed when this all comes apart? What are my options...doing it myself? All I see available are those that state they are not for pcv valve heat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have deleted your other thread as it was a duplicate.

Please only start one thread per issue.

Thanks. :biggthump

Sorry about that Rondo. Using my phone to post.
Without having removed the intake it appears the aluminum cross over can be unbolted from the underside of the plastic manifold. Cant the gasket for that section be fabricated and replaced without changing the entire manifold? Or am I missing something here?

No worries. If you want, I can post the procedures from my shop manuals. Just let me know.

Thanks rondo but i just wanted to kniw if the dorman part will fit. Going by pics of posts and people saying they used dorman it looks like my setup but Dorman tech says it wont fit.
I ordered one and will have to find out for myself.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Watch "02explorer 4.6 leak at coolant crossover" on YouTube
02explorer 4.6 leak at coolant crossover: http://youtu.be/B_4dpUBzZpk

Found root cause. The new intake looks like it will fir but first have to jb weld some pits by coolant passage in head.

Dorman 615-175 fit my 4.6 with absolutely no problems at all. No clearance problems whatsoever. Did not check how spark plug cut outs were as I did not remove plugs. I have the heated PCV valve and dorman rep said it would not fit. Did apply a small bit of jb weld after cleaning a corrosion pit in block that looked like it would have been where seal would mate. Several run cycles and no leaks. Notes: if you do not remove egr tube then alterator will need to be removed to get old manifold out. Studs of old manifold mount bolts were to hold a few items like a fuel rail ground, cable harness clip etc no longer available as u use new dorman self tap bolts. I just ty-wrapped in place and made a small ground strap for fuel rail. Reused alternator bracket and it fit well. All in all it was no big deal to change. Would have preferred oem manifold as it does not use channels for o rings on manifold ports. That was the failure point of old manifold coolant port having o ring channel in plastic.

Watch "02explorer 4.6 leak at coolant crossover" on YouTube
02explorer 4.6 leak at coolant crossover:

Found root cause. The new intake looks like it will fir but first have to jb weld some pits by coolant passage in head.

Hey do you still have that video the YouTube video says no longer available. Scottdavidrowe@gmail.com
Thanks

Back