Coolant Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant Leak

sputt

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently discovered a cracked radiator in my 96 explorer V8 5.0. Unfortunately i was at the lake and severely overheated before getting home. I replaced the radiator and water pump. As i was putting the new coolant in I noticed it pouring out so bad I thought I must have left a hose unattached. I looked at everything I had removed and replaced and saw no indication of leaks from there. I crawled under and finally found a small steady stream (with vehicle running) at the rear of the engine and between the engine and firewall. I can not tell exactly what the part is that's leaking. I don't know if it's a hose, tube, the block or what. I can not see the leak from the top at all. My best description is it seems to be about 1 foot below where the heater core hoses enter the firewall. Any ideas on what it might be? P.S. - I have checked the oil and transmission dipsticks and don't see anything unusual there. Also, nothing coming out of the tailpipe.

i dont know if there are any freeze plugs on the back of the block or not so dont hold me to it but it could be one of them. since you said you overheated it could have moved or you might have warp something back there

i found a heater core hose leaking. Not sure if it's the only leak but i guess i need to fix that b4 being able to track down anymore. How hard is it to change this hose? It's the one that goes toward the rear of the engine.

Back