Coolant leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leak

Pghbadboyz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
Ok so I have a 2006 Explorer XLT4x4. I purchased this in Oct 15 with 109k miles. Ran good for a couple of months now the problems. First I noticed an odor of antifreeze while driving then seen the steam coming from the engine compartment. The vehicle dash board never got passed the middle of the temperature indicator. I popped the hood only to find a puddle of
anti freeze on top of the intake manifold. My First thought was OH BOY HERE WE GO! I filled the coolant expansion tank and the problem went away...temporarily. Then came back. At the risk of repeating myself this went on for a couple of weeks. I always checked the oil and found absolutely clean. Also there was no visiable smoke from exhaust. After 4 mechanical persons looking for the problem no one could find the leak. I then decided to change the water intake block on top of the intake manifold and the water pump. I changed the pump because I found water in that area. So here is what it cost. 67 dollars for the plastic water intake block
(both pieces) 70 dollars for the water pump and 33 dollars for 3 gallons of 50/50 antifreeze. I am 57 years old and it took me about 12 hours to do this myself. The good news is I am not leaking a drop of coolant and the engine runs great. Looking back I'd say that the problem was the plastic water intake. You can purchase the top or the bottom or both pieces together. If you get them both they come assembled with a new thermostat.

I'm glad you were able to diagnose and fix your problem on the cheap :D

Welcome to the forum:chug:

Lol, just did the same to mine last weekend. It was a weep, but you could tell it was the pump. I have actually done all 3 places that are prone to leakage on this poor excuse for an engine. The Radiator tank was first, that was a pain, the thermostat housing was a year later, that was easy. Last but not least was the water pump.

Put a 16# radiator cap on there as well. Reduces the system pressure and my temps ran the same testing coolant temp w/OBD II scanner idling in 90F humid heat.

Back