• Register Today It's free!

coolant level low, 2012 Explorer

sboy

Reaction score
City, State
Antipolo City, Philippines; working in UAE
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 XLT 4x4
Hi guys, just like to share to you that at around 1500km. of our 2012 explorer, i have found out that coolant level in the reservoir was too low (around 1 cm height). furthermore, i was so shocked when i discovered that issue when i opened the engine bay to take some pictures. Immediately, i brought the car to the service center and they said they replace the o-rings connected to the hose. Then after a day, i inspected the coolant level and again it was low. I said to myself, ''what the hell is this?''. Again, i brought the car to the service center and they have replaced the hose and test drove the car for few kilometers. Now, the coolant level is not getting low but i am still checking it from time to time specially if we will have a long trip. Coz, i don't like to suffer from engine overheat and to affect other systems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it wasn't on the ground, it was low to begin with and was missed on a quickie PDI.
Just watch it for a few days.

Did you get this resolved? I just noticed the reservoir in my 2013 (had it 6 months) is a little low - like a half inch below the bottom line. I am wondering if I should just top it off or if I should get it looked at. I haven't checked before this so no idea how long it has been like that.

@ phareous

Have it checked. Bring your car to the service center. They might replace o-rings and hoses as well. For our car, no more leaking from the reservoir.

Did you get this resolved? I just noticed the reservoir in my 2013 (had it 6 months) is a little low - like a half inch below the bottom line. I am wondering if I should just top it off or if I should get it looked at. I haven't checked before this so no idea how long it has been like that.
I just checked mine anfd the level is right at the bottom of the Cold Range. Just read the manual and I think this is the first time I've had a vehicle where the instructions say the mix should be 50/50 windshield washer fluid and distilled water!

Peter

It is perfectly normal to lose up to a cup of antifreeze a month. It evaporates, and then escapes through the cap as it vents anything over its rated pressure.

Hi phareous,

Swing by your local dealership so they can inspect; they'll be in the best position to tell you if it is something to be concerned about.

@ phareous

Have it checked. Bring your car to the service center. They might replace o-rings and hoses as well. For our car, no more leaking from the reservoir.

It is perfectly normal to lose up to a cup of antifreeze a month. It evaporates, and then escapes through the cap as it vents anything over its rated pressure.

Thanks for adding to the discussion, sboy and rickybobby!

Crystal

So I called my dealer and they claim it is normal and to top it off. I am a little skeptical as I have never owned a car where I had to do this...and it is not even 8 months old and already down an inch in that reservoir. So anyway they pretty much refused to look at it unless I could say for sure it was a leak (if I saw some under the car, etc.)

So I went to the dealer to get some antifreeze. First off they had no idea what my car actually used (I figured they would...being the Ford dealer and all). So they said did I want blue or gold... I went to look at my car and it appeared to use Gold.

I ended up with VC-7-A concentrated. I looked in the manual and it said I need VC-3DIL-B.

Does anyone know if VC-7 and VC-3 are compatible and if they can be mixed? Should I take this back and demand they give me the other part #?

So I've done some research.. apparently VC-3 is Orange and VC-7 is Gold, and they are not compatible. The Explorer came with Orange

It is a shame I have to do research before I go to the dealer's parts desk..you would think they would know their own vehicles

So I've done some research.. apparently VC-3 is Orange and VC-7 is Gold, and they are not compatible. The Explorer came with Orange

It is a shame I have to do research before I go to the dealer's parts desk..you would think they would know their own vehicles

A quick check of the manual by you or the parts dept. was all that was needed in the first place.....that way no one is guessing which product is supposed to be used.;)

HughCares is right. The correct coolant fluid is identified in the Owner's Guide in the Maintenance and Specifications section exactly where you found the information originally. That is all the info you should have needed to give the parts department. If they weren't sure, all they had to do was check their computer for the correct number. My parts department does that all the time when I go in for something.

Peter

Yes I know since I just posted it in this thread. I rushed from work and got there at 5:30 so I had no time to do anything but go to the window...I was assuming the parts person would know or be able to look it up...I was obviously mistaken. I probably would have gotten the same level of service asking a walmart employee. Anyways, I'm taking it back tommorow to get the right stuff

Back