• Register Today It's free!

Coolant level sensor

RonParise

Reaction score
City, State
Ft Myers Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer limited
I have posted about the water pump in my 2011 Explorer several times. I proactively replaced the water pump at 200,000 miles Now I’m at 370,000 miles and I’m thinking of doing it again. Or just run it out until it finally fails

Instead I’ve rigged a low coolant level alert. So if the coolant level suddenly drops, a big red light on the dash lights

This is actually my second attempt. The first time I put a float switch in the coolant overflow tank. I tested it every week and it worked until it didnt

This time I bought a “non contact” level detector

Taidacent Non Contact Liquid Level Sensor Contactless Water Tank Water Level Sensor for Tank Water Level Control with Low and High Level Output https://a.co/d/aGNNMdg

The instructions say to glue it to the tank. I used a 24 inch zip tie instead. There is an a screw that can be turned to increase or decrease sensitivity which I played with to get it right

Now if I drain the tank a big red led lights on my dash. With any luck if the water pump fails I’ll have enough time to stop the car before it takes out the engine

07986620-0DB0-4392-A1EE-4A2B58D3FFAA.jpeg
82C4CCBD-05AD-4861-8252-BBEAD5BB4DDE.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I´ve always thought things like this should come from factory. The dumb temp sensor will say everything is fine until suddenly it isn´t. The OK temperature range is so wide it would be great if they put an orange range.

In my case my nose was the sensor, one day I was parking at home (thank God!) and I sensed strong smell of coolant, coolant degas was empty and coolant dripping below the alternator, bang! the water pump. I was lucky thou! Not a single drop entered the engine.

Good luck with the sensor!

I have posted about the water pump in my 2011 Explorer several times. I proactively replaced the water pump at 200,000 miles Now I’m at 370,000 miles and I’m thinking of doing it again. Or just run it out until it finally fails

Instead I’ve rigged a low coolant level alert. So if the coolant level suddenly drops, a big red light on the dash lights

This is actually my second attempt. The first time I put a float switch in the coolant overflow tank. I tested it every week and it worked until it didnt

This time I bought a “non contact” level detector

Taidacent Non Contact Liquid Level Sensor Contactless Water Tank Water Level Sensor for Tank Water Level Control with Low and High Level Output https://a.co/d/aGNNMdg

The instructions say to glue it to the tank. I used a 24 inch zip tie instead. There is an a screw that can be turned to increase or decrease sensitivity which I played with to get it right

Now if I drain the tank a big red led lights on my dash. With any luck if the water pump fails I’ll have enough time to stop the car before it takes out the engine

View attachment 430464View attachment 430465
what light did you get? I was just researching doing this exact thing

what light did you get? I was just researching doing this exact thing

I bought these a while back (Amazon) for another purpose. But that project didnt work out, so now, one of them is in the Explorer.
I just set in front of speedometer. Its not pretty, but it works, Any 12 volt light would do, as long as its bright

1658884612402.png

yeah, those look to be a bit much....are you running a micro controller off the switch or just switch and the light? Where did you pull key on power from?

Its always on power straight from the battery

Wiring the switch was not intuitive , at least not for me. I found a you tube video that helped me a lot.

Back