Cooling Fans not cycling with A/C +45mph | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cooling Fans not cycling with A/C +45mph

BettyFord58

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, Explorer Sport
I was curious if anyone else has experienced this:

-2018 Explorer Sport 3,000 miles

When the A/C is on (regardless of only the front or rear as well) the radiator fans (both) run constantly, even while going over 45-85 mph for an approx. 8 mile stretch. I've noticed after pulling off the hwy, after doing 80+mph, the fans are still running at a medium speed (the fans do not shut off while driving at high speeds). Granted we are currently in the summer heat of AZ, with 100+ temps, but I would have thought the fans would cycle off after 35-45 mph when the air push reaches more than the fans ability to pull.

With the A/C off the fans cycle correctly, lending me to believe it isn't an engine temp issue.

Normal or out of the ordinary?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated and thank you all in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think that it is normal since the engine would still require cooling especially now that there is no other airflow.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I agree but whats happening is the fans are not shutting off while driving at higher speeds. They run constantly.

Thanks Peter,

I agree but whats happening is the fans are not shutting off while driving at higher speeds. They run constantly.
Just curious how you know that being that you are inside the car? Can you hear them above all the other sounds? I can honestly say that I've never heard mine running. The fans would still be required to lower the coolant temperature. The active grille shutters close at highway speeds for aerodynamic purposes so I'm guessing that may cause the fans to run more. At lower speeds, the shutters are open to provide more cooling as the vehicle moves.

Peter

I thought there was logic in the programming that turns off the fans above a certain speed unless above a temperature set point.
Example: Engine temp is 190F and driving faster than X mph, fans turn off regardless if A/C is on.
Fans will run below a certain vehicle speed if A/C is on regardless of engine temp (well, maybe not below freezing temps).
Fans will run at high vehicle speeds if engine temp is above a certain point (i don't know what that temp is).

I can't say I've paid attention if my fans are running when driving at highway speeds. I doubt I'd be able to hear them over the other noises (tires, radio, kids....etc).

Just curious how you know that being that you are inside the car? Can you hear them above all the other sounds? I can honestly say that I've never heard mine running. The fans would still be required to lower the coolant temperature. The active grille shutters close at highway speeds for aerodynamic purposes so I'm guessing that may cause the fans to run more. At lower speeds, the shutters are open to provide more cooling as the vehicle moves.

Peter

At speeds below 50, if I have the radio off, fan turned down low, I can hear the light hum of the fans running. Same with the hwy, after pulling off and coming to a sudden stop, I can hear the fans running. There's such a short distance from the off ramp to the stop, that I can tell the fans were still running at the same speed before getting on the hwy.

I was curious if anyone else has experienced this:

-2018 Explorer Sport 3,000 miles

When the A/C is on (regardless of only the front or rear as well) the radiator fans (both) run constantly, even while going over 45-85 mph for an approx. 8 mile stretch. I've noticed after pulling off the hwy, after doing 80+mph, the fans are still running at a medium speed (the fans do not shut off while driving at high speeds). Granted we are currently in the summer heat of AZ, with 100+ temps, but I would have thought the fans would cycle off after 35-45 mph when the air push reaches more than the fans ability to pull.

With the A/C off the fans cycle correctly, lending me to believe it isn't an engine temp issue.

Normal or out of the ordinary?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated and thank you all in advance!
I tend to agree with you that your A/C fans should cycle off once you get the vehicle going. I had a problem with my fans recently and I learned a few things from other members replying to my problem. One of which is the fans logic controllers read A/C system pressures to determine when the fans run and at what speeds. Check your A/C systems refrigerant pressures to see if they are where they should be and check the fuses that control the fans in the fuse box under the hood. Your cars manual will list what each fuse is for. I had a fan issue myself and it turned out it was blown fuses. You have to look at them very closely. I missed mine the first time around until I looked harder the second time and found two where bad. You can read the problem I had with mine on my profile if that might help give some clarity.

Back