Cooling the tranny?

sirhk100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
Okay, I've got a tranny cooler and a temp guage for my tranny as well as sythetics in it. When the temp gets up to 230+ I've heard I'm killing the tranny and I should pull over and let it cool. My question is, how do I do this? Pull over and turn the motor of and wait or pull over and let it idle in park. I came real close to those temps yesterday on a uphill grade towing my golf cart back from Pismo beach. I'm hoping that the new gears that I'm putting in as soom as my schedule and the shops schedule match will help with that. What do you guys think, 4:56 gears with 33" tires for towing should dramatically help out the tranny compared to my stock 3:73's right?

if you shut it off the fan stops pulling air thru the AT cooler and radiatior and the engine coolant and ATF stop ciculating thru the cooler and radiatior, so the engine and tranny cool MUCH slower than if everything is still circulating.

it something breaks, your pressure drops significantly or its smoking, its probably better to shut it off and let it to cool, while you wait for a tow.

Take your tranny cooler out and give it a good hard kick in to some bushes!!! go out and buy a flexalite flx 4190 it has a electric fan built in to it, i have talked to racers and weekend pro stock guys that have torque converters the size of small pizzas and these things keep there trannys nice and cool, when you pull over the fan keeps pushing air through the cooler so it is still cooling when you are not moveing, I just spent $2300,00 on a tranny rebuild and i think this tranny cooler is the best way to protect that investment

Back