• Register Today It's free!

Core Support

nugrapeman2

Reaction score
City, State
Sparta, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT 4.0 OHV
Hey i have coworker at work whose brother is looking for replacement parts for his 96 explorer sport. He hit a deer and supposedly it messed up his headlights, grill and "core support" He's searched his local junk yards and come away empty handed. He is unemployed now and don't have much money so he can't get the parts new. I am no mechanic and don't have the expertise. So i have a dumb question to ask. What is the core support? And where do you think i could find something like that online besides ebay or would that be the only possibility?

The core support is the radiator support, a large section of sheet metal. Not something easily gotten from a junkyard, as it requires a lot of work to remove. It's also welded in, so those all have to be drilled out. I got a brand new on from Bob Utter ford for about $140, which is probably less than what a junkyard would charge for a beat up, rusted out used one.

The core support is the radiator support, a large section of sheet metal. Not something easily gotten from a junkyard, as it requires a lot of work to remove. It's also welded in, so those all have to be drilled out. I got a brand new on from Bob Utter ford for about $140, which is probably less than what a junkyard would charge for a beat up, rusted out used one.

Thanks i will advise them to get a new one then..

also, this is not something that a guy with a pry bar, hammers, and vise grips for tools will be able to do. if you are a novice at best, you do not really want to try and tackle this job. if you dont have any bodywork experience, put the tools down now, and walk away.

Back