correct voltage for plug wires 98 sohc | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

correct voltage for plug wires 98 sohc

mikeg216

Reaction score
City, State
cleveland ohio east side
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer sport
trying to track down a misfire problem what is the correct voltage /amps for the plug wires on my 1998 4.0 sohc ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you mean "voltage for plug wires"? You cannot MEASURE that, there are some 15000-20000 V there, it can kill you!

even IF you did (quite possible with the proper equipment), not sure its going to tell you much / anything. The presences of voltage is only one small factor in the overall "scheme of things".... timing, fueling, and compression are others... and probably more important.... so much so, that most people only "check for voltage" (maybe) by determining if there is "spark or no spark"... that's it... maybe "color of said spark"... but "absolute voltage" nada.

Perhaps you are more "worried" about the resistance of the wire which is normally spec'ed for a given vehicle / system in terms of ohms/length.... and can be checked with a meter for some value and compared across all your wires.

Has the PCM set any mifire diagnostic trouble codes? Misfire codes range from P0300 thru P0306 for the SOHC V6. See Engine misfire procedure [/QUOTE

I have a misfire but the only trouble code its throwing is p0171 bank 1 sensor 1 rich/lean and I'm running out of things to check to figure out why I have a misfire and where the problem is coming from

Back