• Register Today It's free!

Correct way to clean sensors

Buffalosports

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport - 4WD
How should I go about cleaning the mass air flow sensor? Is this one that commonly needs to be cleaned? I am not having any C.E.L. problems and the engine is running fine but with the way gas prices are, I want to make sure it is always functioning properly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anything that requires little or no residue left over, I personally use Electronic contact cleaner. Works good in most cases, as it will brack down most dirt and debris, and lets it drip away before evaporating itself.

ok, where can I get this? Take the sensor out by the top two screws, correct? Can I just use a small amout of compressed air?

Sorry, I don't even know what they look like inside. I was always to nervous to take apart in fear of breaking it.

There's an actual can of MAF Housing/Sensor cleaner at hte auto store. I like it, I bought one can a few years ago and keep it on the garage shelf. All you do is spray, it evaporates in seconds. It's worth the 2 or so bucks just to have on hand

you can buy it at most auto parts stores. a lot of people replace those hex lock screws when doing this so next time its easier...or knock out the little pin in the middle of the screws and you can use a regular hexy thing

Back