Corrosion in the coolent

Creager

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4
CDW, i remember you telling me about a anti-corrosive that i can put into my coolent to help fight corrosion.

My main question is, what is what causes corrosion in the cooling system? What can i do to put it to rest completely? Ill have the heads off my motor here soon and wanted to go about fixing the issue with corrosive coolent. New radiator? water pump?

Welp, now i HAVE to fix this coolent problem :D No leaks or anything major, except its 29 degrees outside and my HEATER WENT OUT! haha

I went out to Advance Auto parts, and they showed me this stuff from Valvoline... a flush, and a super cleaner. Since the inside of my radiator looked like the middle of a reese's cup, i bought both cleaners. :D

The Super Cleaner you are supposed to run in your cooling system with straight water for 3-6 hours! :eek: i thought... this stuff cant possibly work? 3-6 hours later my radiator was dumping STRAIGHT RUST! i had to flush it (run engine for 10 minutes with straight water in the cooling system) 3 or 4 times to get all the rust out. It looked like it was shatting out a fregging crayon, it was such a bold color maroon. After a couple more flushes i actually saw clear water comming from the radiator. The stuff actually worked.

Two weeks later, my engine wasnt getting over the N on the tempature gauge so i figured its time for a new t-stat, and a temp sensor while im in there. I drained the radiator to actually see that my coolent was still green (for the most part, poops of maroon rust was here and there). So i decided to run the Valvoline flush that i bought before. Like before the other stuff, this crap made freggin poop loads of rust flake out of my cooling system. After a while, the water turned a BRIGHT shade of red, which was odd. Eventually straight clear water came out of it, so i buttoned up the project and went.

Either way, if you ever find yourself sludging through heeps of rust in your cooling system, try the Valvoline super cleaner and flush. It definatly made mine 110% better, and i just need the damn thing to last until i rebuild the whole thing! (Yep, what can i say i got a whole new cooling system sitting in boxes in the garage, waiting for the rest of the parts to pile in!)

Back