Could this potentially be used to program keyfobs for 2016+? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Could this potentially be used to program keyfobs for 2016+?

Reaction score
City, State
Burbank
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 FPIU
I was looking at Forscan latest version changes history and noticed this section:
+ Configuration and Programming functions BCM "RF Keypad Learning by Serial Number", "RF Keypad Learning by 48-char Code" for:
Explorer 2016-2019 model years

Anyone know if there may be a way to program the Ford keyfob using this? I tried it on my 2017 PIU and wasn't able to get it working because the keypad had to be in learning mode; so a sequence of buttons had to be pressed to get it to work. Is there perhaps a learning mode on the keyfobs that could work using this method?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2016 later require IDS to program the fobs. Forscan cannot do it. There's no learning mode, etc. Mine were done at the dealer.
Make sure you have the correct fobs. Mine are Ford three button, lock, unlock, and hatch.

Tried going to the dealer with the same exact keyfob. They said they couldn't do it, and this was a very large dealership. Rather not risk ~$200 for another dealership to tell me they're not able to do it. I understand that it requires IDS to program, but with Forscan being able to use the 48 character code to program the keypad I was hopeful there would have been a way to do it with the keyfob aswell.

I am using fob #GB5T-15K601-FB.

The technician opened the key fobs and entered the codes. If the entire process took 15 minutes, I'd be surprised.

I was looking at Forscan latest version changes history and noticed this section:
+ Configuration and Programming functions BCM "RF Keypad Learning by Serial Number", "RF Keypad Learning by 48-char Code" for:
Explorer 2016-2019 model years

Anyone know if there may be a way to program the Ford keyfob using this? I tried it on my 2017 PIU and wasn't able to get it working because the keypad had to be in learning mode; so a sequence of buttons had to be pressed to get it to work. Is there perhaps a learning mode on the keyfobs that could work using this method?
I saw a post on Facebook from a PIU page where a guy said he programmed a fob using forscan and entering the 48-char code. I tried it myself and I was not able to program my fob. I asked for more information from the guy but haven’t heard back yet.

I saw a post on Facebook from a PIU page where a guy said he programmed a fob using forscan and entering the 48-char code. I tried it myself and I was not able to program my fob. I asked for more information from the guy but haven’t heard back yet.
Welcome to the Forum Matt. :wave:

Peter

I read the same....apparently you use the program to set up the exterior door keypads and instead press the buttons on your key fobs...

I saw that post too, haven't tried it. I ended up getting an adaptor with IDS and got it done. If I remember right, the guy on the post said he pressed one of the buttons and got it working. Only issue he had apparently was that the car wasn't honking on lock, which is a Forscan setting.

For anyone looking at doing this, With the most current version of forscan you can without question 100% program new OEM fobs with this method. (16-19 PIU) with 48 character code.
Took me all of 5 minutes to add a second fob.

Back