• Register Today It's free!

Couple questions about SeaFoam.

slaughterrt

Reaction score
City, State
Old Bridge, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Was considering seafoaming my explorer this weekend and had a couple of questions/concerns. I plan on using 1/3 of the can in the gas tank, 1/3 in the oil, and 1/3 in the vacuum hose (might not be exactly what it's called, but my brain isn't working currently. I know where it should go but I can't quite articulate it right now). However, I have read that with all the crap carbon being burnt out of the truck, that sometimes it's necessary to change the spark plugs shortly after seafoaming. Is that a common occurrence? Also, I just relaxed my fuel pump and fuel filter. Are there any possible negative side effects to the fuel system components from seafoaming? Also, I recently poured half a bottle of Mystery Oil in the oil reservoir and half in the gas tank. Should I wait to SeaFoam as I don't want to dilute the oil or gasoline too much, if that is possible?

Just a couple of things ths crossed my mind as I prepare to SeaFoam the beast.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why do you want to put it in your oil? Do you have sludge in there?

How I do Seafoam is : Heat the engine up and find a vacuum hose and suck up the Seafoam carefully. You might have to reduce the hose size.
Keep the idle speed up so it doesn't choke.
Let the engine sip about 1/2 the can then feed more in until the engine chokes and stops. This coats everything in the combustion chamber.

Careful, I've heard of people hydro locking their engine this way, I don't know how though, it's never happened to me.

Put the rest in the tank and let it sit several hours preferably overnight.

When you restart the engine there will be a lot of white smoke. A lot.
Drive somewhere where you can open it up for a while to clear all the loose carbon out.

Your plugs and fuel system will be ok unless the Seafoam loosens crap up in your tank and it gets stuck in the filter.

There will only be an improvement if there was carbon in your engine.

I dont do what he just said. But pretty close. I wouldnt let it choke the motor out. Give it half the bottle and then stop the motor yourself. Letting it choke out seems too close to drowning it.

I let it sit for atleast 15 minutes. I usually get distracted while waiting and it gets to sit much longer.

Only do you oil if you are getting ready to do an oil change. You can leave it longer, but I dont like thinning my oil for very long. I usually only do about 100 miles with it in my crankcase.

I did the old SeaFoam treatment this morning. Poured half the bottle in the intake hose and the other half in the fuel tank. Turned off the engine and let it sit for prob a half hour. Started it up and had the rpms around 2500-3000 and let her smoke. After a few minutes it slowed the smoking and I let it idle for a little while. I have yet to take it on the street to open it up.

Question though. After running the truck for approx 20 minutes or so, I turned it off. I was still getting a little residual smoke from UNDER the truck. Took a look and there was a bit of smoke coming off the cat converter. Is this something to be concerned about or could this be normal? Could my cat be close to being clogged? And is it perhaps time for a replacement? I haven't ever replaced it in its 220k miles. How would I go about checking?

Back