• Register Today It's free!

QUestion about seafoam

LMHmedchem

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT v8
Hello,

I have been doing some cleaning and maintenance to try and get my explorer to run a bit better. I am going to clean the MAF and I thought I would try some seafoam as well. It is a bit unclear what the best method for using seafoam is. I probably won't add it to my oil since I use high quality oil and filters and change it every ~3500 miles or so. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add a can to the gas tank so I will probably do that at some point unless someone tells me not to.

I have seen it introduced through the brake booster hose and also the spray version the is sprayed into the throttle body. Is one of these methods preferable? Is there any difference in how effective the cleaning is?

Does it make more sense for me to remove the throttle body and clean it manually instead of using seafoam?

If anyone knows of a writeup or video on cleaning the MAF on the 2002 v8, it would be great to have the link for that.

LMHmedchem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do the manual throttle body cleaning. Clean the fuel system with StarTron followed by a fuel filter replacement. YMMV

they have appropriate cleaners for that. Use throttle body and maf sensor cleaner, they are sold in walmart and part stores. As for seafoam save your money, you don't need it. Most people believe that it works but I'm the one that believe it's just a snake oil, my cars/truck didn't even use a single drop of that.
Dealerships/shops use BG44K to clean the intake manifold and Chrysler/Jeep has the intake manifold cleaner too (not sure what it's called) similar to BG44K but it's not the same as seafoam.
Lots of videos in youtube if you want to search to in this kind of topic.

As already mentioned. Buy throttle body specific cleaner and remove to clean.

Seafoam does in fact work. What it does, is soften up hardened crud. It would take a couple uses to decrud.

Having used it in my '94's oil, I advise against oil usage. Whatever it clears up, becomes loose. My oil pressure dropped in my '94 after using it.

Through the intake method (i.e. Booster hose) is a top end cleaning method. Pour it in, till the car wants to die, but don't let it, then, eventually let it choke the car out. After it sits, fire up car and potentially create a smoke screen in your driveway. I feel that this method is best for high mileage and older cars. Think 80's. Having done this on my '94 with 120k, then later pulling the heads. I'd say it wasn't even needed. (I only ran it once, you will need to run it 2-3 times to really achieve anything.)

In the gas tank is probably it's best use for our generation of cars. It'll help clean the injectors.

But the substance does in fact work. At one point, a salesman for Seafoam had told me that ALL their 3 (at the time) products (engine, spray, trans) where the exact same thing, with different labels.

You can also remove your plugs, use the spray can to "fog" the engine cylinders, let it sit over night then fire it back up. Save you $60 at the shop.

Delete

I first heard about it from a mechanic that brought my sons Cadillac back to life with it. Did some research on line. Found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6UeJXkzDW8

I tried it in my 10 year old John Deere and it brought the power back. Now I use it in all my engines. Cars, tractor and even chainsaws.

Back