• Register Today It's free!

cracked head?watch vid/comment

joe doe

Reaction score
City, State
slatington,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ex sport 4.0 ohv
hey guys,every gasket has been replaced on this motor so its not gaskets.
number 4 cyl has thrown misfire codes befor .
i just recently changed number 4 again because it had a constant miss going on again .
has that shaky morning startup too.been using some antifreeze too,and its not leaking it .
you can check my other posts for more info on whats been done .ive spent 2k this year on the motor and suspension.
i believe my mechanic has overlooked a cracked head or just didnt see it when doing the gaskets .

this video is the first start of the morning .my lens cap wasnt open all the way but i didnt know this until i uploaded the video .you can still see enough to pass judgement .
it was 60 degrees out this morning .i just topped off the antifreeze too.
what you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Condensation is a by-product of combustion.

On a 60 degree morning, that looks perfectly normal.

What do keep changing? The spark plug?
What does it look like when it comes out?

A coolant leak into the cylinder would yield either a wet plug or a very clean (steamed) plug.

From the looks of that plug, you don't have any coolant getting into the combustion chamber. Have you checked the coil and wire? Might just have a weak spark on #4.

wires are new .how do you check the coil??they either work or they dont is my thinking .
and my antifreeze is going somewhere ,its not leaking anywhere .the plug in that picture started misfiring the other day and i replaced it .the misfire went away .still have the shaky morning start though.then after a few seconds it goes away .

Can't explain the antifreeze loss, possible water pump is weeping or the heater control valve could be weeping too. Is the misfire only in the morning? Could be a sticky or leaky injector too. You need a spark tester to see if the coil is firing correctly.

water pump is new ......darn near everything on the engine has been replaced with new .i have not cut any corners .hence why i have put 2k into this truck this past year .

i inspected the heater control valve too and it is not leaking .i still believe i have a head crack ......when it sits for a few hours the motor cools .....allowing expansion of the crack ,a tiny bit of antifreeze enters the cyl,when you start the engine it shakes until that tiny bit is burned off,then it smooths out .
then the process is repeated everytime it sits a few hours .
thats what i have read on the forums here .makes sense to me .

i just plan to keep refilling and topping off the radiator until it gets bad enough to warrant new heads i guess. not much else i can do .i have throw alot of money in it and need a break .
heres a short list of things repaired.

new head gaskets
new upper and lower intake gaskets
new upper plenum o-rings
new water pump
new aic valve
new belt tensioner
new plug
new wires
new timing chain ,gears,guide,tensioner
new timing cover gaskets
new belt
new ball joints
new radiator
new lower hose
new battery
new swaybar end link bushings
ect,ect,ect.......
i still need to replace the fuel pump ,having problems with that too.

all this by 140,000

and thats just under the hood ..haha.i still love the truck.but its killing me.

this thing leaked antifreeze from every possible place on the motor ,thats why i had it all done .thanks for your input .

I have a different spin on this...

Your shaking for a tiny bit that happens when the engine is started cold sounds like a problem I had that was caused by an injector that was not flowing when it was cold..

Start the engine and the engine would stutter and shake a few seconds then clear itself when the injector started flowing...

When I started driving this truck, I had some fuel issues and ultimately the injectors got rebuilt...I replaced the injectors when I replaced the engine and the shop verified the injectors did not even come close to flowing properly... Now my injectors are flow matched and flow correctly...And no more cold stutter from lack of flow...

You might want to consider your injectors needing work...

that would leave the question of where is my antifreeze going??and why when i change the plug does the shaking issue go away for awhile?
i am definitely still losing antifreeze.about a pint a week.
no visable leaks and you can see i had all the proper work done.

when it quits working ,i will know what it is...lol

A combustion leak test and a radiator pressure test will help rule out a cracked head.

A combustion leak test and a radiator pressure test will help rule out a cracked head.

how do we do these?someone said pressurize the radiator overnight,pull the plug in that cyl and put a length of cotton rope in there .then pull it out in the morning .
is there another way?i dont have a garage so i wouldnt be comfortable leaving the hood open all night let alone a tool attached to the radiator .

let me know ,thanks

Combustion Leak Test Procedure
Combustion%20Leak%20Test%20Kit.jpg

One method is to use a block tester, also known as a combustion leak tester, to determine if you have exhaust gases in your cooling system. A combustion test kit can be found at your local NAPA, auto parts store. The part number is 700-1006. The price for this part is less than $50.00. Exhaust gases in your cooling system can suggest a head gasket leak, a cracked block, or a warped head, etc. A leaking head gasket can create excessive heat and pressures exceeding the ability of the radiator’s cooling capacity, and should be repaired immediately to avoid additional costly repairs. Head gasket leaks are generally secondary to another problem, such as a clogged or leaking radiator. Make sure you identify and repair or replace the original problem or the vehicle may overheat and cause the head gasket to fail again.

To do the test, add the blue detector fluid to the (block-tester) plastic container according to the directions, and place it onto the radiator filler neck. The squeeze bulb is placed on top of the reservoir and squeezed repeatedly (Some block testers, have a tube that connects to a vacuum line instead of a squeeze bulb). Squeezing the bulb will draw air from the radiator through the test fluid. Block tester fluid is normally blue. Exhaust gases in the cooling system will change the color of the fluid to yellow, indicating a combustion leak. If the fluid remains blue, exhaust gases were not present during the test. The vehicle should be started and at operating temperature before performing the test. Vehicles with head gasket leaks may overheat, and purge hot water and steam out of the radiator. Perform this test, at your own risk, and do not do the test, unless you are experienced and are wearing clothing (don't be naked) and equipment to protect you from burns, or injury.

Sometimes, engines with a head gasket leak show steam, water or white smoke exiting the exhaust pipe. Other symptoms include coolant in the oil, or oil in the radiator coolant.

Radiator pressure test
product1_24826.jpg

TEST #1: Pressure Tests for the Cooling System

The first test of the cooling system is done when the engine is cold. A cooling system pressure tester can be installed in place of the radiator cap. Pressure in the cooling system and hot coolant are not something to be treated lightly. Use caution, and never remove the radiator cap from an engine that has been run even for even a short time. After installing the gauge, pump it up to 10 pounds. Look around for leaks if the gauge shows any pressure loss. Common trouble spots include heads, hoses, water pump and rear heater core. If you smell something sweet when you turn the heater fans on, it may be a coolant leak at one of the heater cores, or simply the O-ring at the rear heater valve leaking. Because there is often more then one leak in the system, it is necessary to continue pressure testing until the system holds pressure.

TEST #2

Start the engine cold with no pressure indicated on the gauge. The pressure in the cooling system builds to aprox 7 lbs at normal running temps looking around for leaks. But if the pressure builds quickly to around 15 lbs the pressure is coming from one of the cylinders through the inner head gasket. This can also show up as a coolant pressure loss in the first test. In extreme cases the cylinder can fill with coolant, and will not turn over. This is know as hydraulic lock, and if you suspect this pull the spark plugs and tries to turn the engine again. Pulling the plugs from the engine allows water to escape from the spark plug holes.

I think it is unlikely that you have a bad coil pack. With a waste spark system, if a coil section is bad two cylinders would misfire instead of just one.

thats what i have read as well.thanks for your comment
.inspection is coming in a couple weeks .i am gonna have my mechanic do a test to it .probably the cotton rope in the cyl overnight test with a pressurized cooling system .that will tell the story i do believe .

4.0L ohv were known for cracked cylinder heads or leaky head gaskets.

do a leakdown and a compression test on that cylinder cold and then hot. Then compare to another cylinder.

Back