cracked heads are off, can I save my bottom end? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cracked heads are off, can I save my bottom end?

This forum has been a real wealth of information, thank you all. As I start to wrap up this part of the project, I'm already looking at modifications.... but first, tires!

@siggy-TX

It's been about 1 month - how's the Ex been running since the heads have been replaced?

@fast_dave

It's running well! Great torque and power.Thanks for checking in. Wheels and tires from my Ranger are on (offset may be a little different but there's no rubbing - just a band aid fix until I have the time / money to get new tires on the Ex wheels) and I have been daily driving it. Put about 500 miles on so far, did the first oil change at about 200. I got a little surprise though...the oil was a tiny bit milky! I haven't tried to heat a drop to see if it's water or if it's gunk yet, but I'm hoping it's just gunk. Would the water separate out if left sitting for a while?There was a lot of crud build up in that engine, and the detergents of some fresh 5W-30 and a half can of sea foam may have flushed it out. I'm going to get back under there this weekend and drain the oil again and see what I can see. If it's still not quite right, it's time to get the compression tester, leakdown tester and air compressor back out... I would be real bummed out if I did something wrong and goofed up my head gasket. I also need to get a torque wrench on those lower intake manifold bolts, too and make sure they are snugged down to the right spec. I've heard about a lot of em leaking.

Back