Cragar soft 8 rims backspacing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cragar soft 8 rims backspacing

I'm about to purchase Cragar soft 8 rims with 265/75/16 tires on my 03 Ford Explorer but I cannot decide whether to get 16x8 with 5 Inch backspacing, or 16x7 with 4 Inch backspacing. What I am mainly stuck on is the backspacing and if I want 4 or 5 inches.

Is there one that would fit better than the other? And would 5 Inches of backspacing make my wheels stick out at all?

Thank you

16x7 with 4in of BS will leave 3" of wheel outside the hub
16x8 with 5in of BS will leave 3" of wheel outside the hub as well.. so they'll both stick out equally as far

So the question is, how much of the wheel can you fit inside the centerline of the hub? Might want to take some measurements; Will 5in of backspace contact any of ball joints up front, more specifically the upper control arm? That seems to be the most popular rubbing issue.

This should clear things up for you;
choosingdiagram.jpg

16x7 with 4in of BS will leave 3" of wheel outside the hub
16x8 with 5in of BS will leave 3" of wheel outside the hub as well.. so they'll both stick out equally as far

So the question is, how much of the wheel can you fit inside the centerline of the hub? Might want to take some measurements; Will 5in of backspace contact any of ball joints up front, more specifically the upper control arm? That seems to be the most popular rubbing issue.

This should clear things up for you;
choosingdiagram.jpg

Thank you, I am just not familiar with backspacing and all that but this definitely cleared things up. Much appreciated!

any updates on what setup you went with or any pictures???

Back