Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Shingle Springs, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport, 5spd 4.OHV
Callsign
Pack Ratt
Does anyone know when Ford made the transition between 6 bolt and 8 bolt on the crank output of the 4 liter V6 overhead valve engine? Did they go from 6 to 8, or 8 to 6? I recently replaced my engine and had a devil of a time finding one with the eight bolt pattern I needed to bolt up to my flywheel, and it got me thinking if I ever modify my engine that I'll need to know what year to specify. My Explorer is a 98 2-door sport with a 5-speed.

20180528_145411.jpg

20180528_145401.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aha! So that guy was trying to sell me a 95 or older as a 98 engine! Thanks!

Is far as I know , only the Cobra , and manual trans Mach 1 had the 8 bolt crank .
Everything from the rest of the 4.6 engine family will bolt to it .

He is talking about the 4.0L OHV V6
They switched from 6 bolts to 8 so that both engines could use the same flywheel. The switch happened the same year as the SOHC 4.0L came out, with you guessed it, an 8 bolt crank.
Nice part about a 4.0L OHV with an 8 bolt crank is it makes it very easy to run a larger SOHC clutch in a ohv engine

That is very useful info! There's a kit I found to turn my 4.0 OHV into a 4.3 stroker. A bigger clutch would be a good idea for sure, assuming it'll still fit in the bell housing of my 5 speed.

Back