Crank engine?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crank engine??

j73m6

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT V8
I will be changing the spark plugs on my 2007 V8 Explorer soon.

In Ford's publication TSB 08-7-6 it says to "crank engine to clear combustion chamber" before installing the new plugs.

How do I do that without starting the engine??

Thanks

That is only needed if you install the inserts if you strip the threads. If you need to do that, remove the fuel pump relay before you crank it over, and just crank it with the key for 10sec or so

The TSB suggess that you loosen the plugs an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn, and then spray about a 1/2 teaspoon of their special carb cleaner into the plug well. The liquid will travel down the plug threads (since the bevel seal is now open) and cover the carbon on the lower portion of the plug - softening it. If you use more than 1/2 teaspoon, because it is hard to judge or because you needed extra to soften the carbon for plug removal, the TSB suggests there is a possibility of hydro locking the cylinder (with plugs installed) and breaking pistons or con rods, etc.

I use a momentary switch and a fuse and connect them between the battery positive terminal and the small terminal on the starter that connects to the starter relay (after removing the actual small wire from the starter relay). This works well for a number of functions where you need to turn the engine over but don't want the ign or fuel issues. You can buy a working tool for not much money or make your own kit.

Good luck.

Back