• Register Today It's free!

Crankshaft Position Sensor

geebob

Reaction score
City, State
McLean
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie Bauer
I came across this post... "The crankshaft sensor on your early-model Ex will be held on by two bolts and have a plug-on wiring connector. It'll be on the front passenger side of the engine by the crankshaft harmonic balancer". Can someone provided a picture of the exact location? I'm afriad mine is failing as well. Thank you.

I don't have a photo, but if you lay down underneath the front of the engine (feet sticking out the front), and look up at the crankshaft pulley (otherwise known as the harmonic balancer), it should be easy to see. Like you said, it's bolted on with a couple of small machine bolts, and has an electrical plug.

Would it be at the same location for the late models (01)?

Basically any vehicle equipped with a DIS (Distributorless Ignition System) system has one. Since there is no distributor, the engine has to get the input from the CPS to tell it when it is at number 1 TDC and when it has made a complete revolution. Most years will be mounted in the same place. The sensor should have 3 wires comming out of it. Most of the ones I have seen have the color code of Green-Red-Black. It may differ on other vehicles.

Back