4.0 + NP435 X BW1350 X BW1354 X 3.73 = 153 to 1 crawl ratio | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 + NP435 X BW1350 X BW1354 X 3.73 = 153 to 1 crawl ratio

Try a local colleges tech center. I know we plot stuff occasionally. Of couse, its for people we know. :p Or perhaps any fab shop, machine shop, etc. Most of them have plotters and CAD. There will be a minimal charge.

I just tried to print parts on a normal (letter) size paper. I can print it in 1:1 scale, but its in litle pieces and I would never get it together perfectly. I think you are stuck getting them plotted somewhere.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never did find a place today to print the files. Granted I didnt look after I went to kinkos. Anyway I started drawing up some more of the parts in cad and with me it is kind of a two steps forward one step back deal so it takes me awhile. So far I am pretty sure that I have nailed the design of the Np435 to Bw1350 adapter. I have about 90% of the design done on the BW1350 to 1354 design Should take me about 30 minutes to finish it up. Just need to make sure I get the clocking of the two pieces right which shouldnt take to long. Then I started on the 4.0 to the Np435 adapter. I have a rough drawing of it that I need to print out and give it a test fit. None of the computerprograms I downloaded will let me print it in actual size and still have matching lines on it. So Ill jave to figure out away to get around that later as well. I also have the flywheel adater design done. I have it figured out in 2D but need to have it drawn up in 3D. Very basic design though. Here is the bummer about it though. It looks like the flywheel I have is not completly balanced. It seems like it is almost counterbalanced. When I first looked at the boltpattern I thought it was perfectly simetrical but is not. One of the bolt holes is spaced differntly so you can only bolt the flywheel on one way. While it doesnt make that big of deal to make the adapter work it may cause a terrable vibration when I fire up the motor. Still need to do research to determine i this will make a difference or not to me. It seems like the 4.0 must be internally balanced and the flywheel I have is externally balanced. going to have to research this more to determine what to do.

RockRanger said:
.....I also have the flywheel adater design done. I have it figured out in 2D but need to have it drawn up in 3D....

Why exactly do you need it in 3D? Are you going to have it machined directly from an STL file (CNC)? If its going to be machined by hand, why does it need to be 3D?

Just curious. 3D is actually easy. I have a very hard time working in 2D anymore. How big is the part? I might be able to help in between building websites/book research this next week. I am on spring break, but have more work than normal to get done with trying to get the new school set up.

I figure if I have in in a 3d scale then it would be easier for what ever company that I have make it. It is actually a pretty simple design really. Not that much more complicated then what I sent you before. I really doubt I will have the dimensions ready by next week. I have other things i need to address before I start having parts cut. I really need to figure out the flywheel problem first. In one of my Advance adapter books I have they list a counterbalanced flywheel and a non counterbalanced wheel. but the have different tooth counts. More research still to do.

RockRanger said:
Did they ever open wild wings back up after it burned last year in charleston? I sure miss eating at the noise oyster and at brecks in charleston as well.

The Wild Wings that burned in North Charleston? Yeah its open again but they don't do any buy 12 get 12 free wing deals like the one Downtown and the one in Mt Pleasant.

Funny you should mention the Noisey Oyster, we went there tonight for happy hour ~ best freaking happy hour on the Market. $2.99/10 wings + $2.99/plate of steamed oysters + a few $1 Yeungling (yeah its here finally) drafts and I'm a happy man :thumbsup:

Hokie said:
The Wild Wings that burned in North Charleston? Yeah its open again but they don't do any buy 12 get 12 free wing deals like the one Downtown and the one in Mt Pleasant.

Funny you should mention the Noisey Oyster, we went there tonight for happy hour ~ best freaking happy hour on the Market. $2.99/10 wings + $2.99/plate of steamed oysters + a few $1 Yeungling (yeah its here finally) drafts and I'm a happy man :thumbsup:

We were staying at the residence inn right by the wildwings. We were in there the night before it burned. Get up the next moring for work and drive past and see all the firetrucks out there.

Noisey Oyster does have a good happyhour. Good luck getting a seat in the bar though. One timewe were going in there to eat around 6pm and walk past a car in the parking lot and this guy is past out sitting in the drivers seat. Guess he had to much to drink and was going to sleep it off in his car. The scary part was his back up lights were on but the car wasnt running.

Charleston has to be one of the best towns in the nation for restraunts. there were a ton of good ones to eat at and they all were pretty cheap.

Another one we ate at alot was Brensons It is on I think the 85 as you are going towards Savanah. I forget what suburb it was in.

We had a good time in charleston except for all the rain.

well I have most of the adapters I think drawn up in CAD. Only one i really have left to draw up is the 302 bolt pattern. For some reason my printer is all funky and decided to start not printing stuff lined up anymore. Hopefully tommorow I can take my drawings to a blue print place and have them printed to see how close my measuremnts are. If they are accurate then I can go try to find a place to cut all the parts. Still need to go get the newer flywheel so I can make sure that I make the right coupler.

After digging around some more it looks like the 302 flywheel wont work on the 4.0 Both of them are balanced differently and would cause a ton of problems and probably cause the motor to blow itself up. So this plan will be to put it on the shelf for awhile to see what I can come up with :( . I may still try to build the doubler and run that though. The only way I can see putting the np435 in the ranger is to build a whole new bellhousing which was something I was trying to avoid. By building a bellhousing I need to put a spot for the starter on it and then a spot for the clutch fork to pivot off of. Still might try it but that will make for alot more work. Fortunnetly I dont have alot of money in this project that I can't get back out so It didnt cost me more then alot of time.

RockRanger said:
After digging around some more it looks like the 302 flywheel wont work on the 4.0 Both of them are balanced differently and would cause a ton of problems and probably cause the motor to blow itself up. So this plan will be to put it on the shelf for awhile to see what I can come up with :( . I may still try to build the doubler and run that though. The only way I can see putting the np435 in the ranger is to build a whole new bellhousing which was something I was trying to avoid. By building a bellhousing I need to put a spot for the starter on it and then a spot for the clutch fork to pivot off of. Still might try it but that will make for alot more work. Fortunnetly I dont have alot of money in this project that I can't get back out so It didnt cost me more then alot of time.

could you elaborate on how there balanced diffrently? i don't see why you couldn't take your flywheel/adaptor assembly to a machine shop and have it balanced like any other flywheel as long as it fits in the machine. maybe you could compensate with a diffrent harmonic balancer?

if you do this be sure to fab up a scattershield around the top half of the bellhousing. it dosen't need to SFI approved or anything but just get some steel plate up there so you don't die if it grenades

Could you please elaoborate more on a machine shop balancing. So if I take my 4.0 and 302 flywheel into a machine shop and tell them to make the 302 one balance like the 4.0 then all would be good?

I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous. I Know I am in this a bit over my head but what other way is there to learn then jump on in and give it a try. I really want this to work out as it would open up alot of new avenues to the ranger.

RockRanger said:
Could you please elaoborate more on a machine shop balancing. So if I take my 4.0 and 302 flywheel into a machine shop and tell them to make the 302 one balance like the 4.0 then all would be good?

I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous. I Know I am in this a bit over my head but what other way is there to learn then jump on in and give it a try. I really want this to work out as it would open up alot of new avenues to the ranger.

i'm no expert on this either so take what i say with a grain of salt, i only know what i can google. i believe the weight of the flywheel and harmonic balancer should be close so that one end of the crank isn't heavier than the other. these also need to be balanced with the rotating assembly somehow but i'm not sure how that works or why its needed. when a flywheel is balanced at a machine shop its just like balancing a tire except they remove material instead of adding it. they remove material by drilling holes in it. i'm think that once your flywheel/adaptor assembly is balanced so it dosen't wobble like a warped tire you could weigh it. then get a harmonic balancer off a bigass diesel truck and turn it down with a lathe until it weighs the same as the new flywheel. now this new combination will weigh much more than the factory setup but i think this will help you. the extra weight will hinder throttle responce but will allow the engine to spin up the larger tires and extra gears easier.

so agian standard disclaimer applies. i'm not a machinest, i just googled around a bit.

Well it will give me a few things to look into. I just picked up a 700r4 so if this doesnt work out then the auto will be going in. It will be a good couple of weeks till I can look at this stuff again. We will see what happens.

Matt, you have to get this sticker and put it on your truck :p
54-vi.jpg

this idea looks wicked!! cant wait to see how it goes, joining thread :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could use a flywheel from a 300six The same bolt pattern and clutch patterns but neutral balanced :D

Back