4.0 + NP435 X BW1350 X BW1354 X 3.73 = 153 to 1 crawl ratio | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 + NP435 X BW1350 X BW1354 X 3.73 = 153 to 1 crawl ratio

Brian_B said:
My big concern would be driveline vibration. How are you going to keep it all balanced with it spinning at 5000+ RPM?

Thats why i may try to have all the pieces laser cut so hopefulli I can keep everything alligned correctly. Only way to find out forsure is try to build it and see what happens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In this picture you can see the output shaft that will need to be modified.

The top one is out of a ranger transmission with the 25 spline output
The middle one is a 28 spline shaft out of an Np435.
The lower one is a 31 spline shaft out of an Np435.

Attachments

• trannyswap8.jpg
    trannyswap8.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 575

Thats true. Build it and someone will try to copy it. I didn't know they could laser cut steel. I used plasmas for years. I know they have water jets now too. You also might have to have a machine shop balance a few parts. I don't know. Either way, its a very cool project to attempt. There have been a few people on the net over the years with the dual t-case, but I have not seen that trans done with it.

One guy used a full t-case and a half somehow. I don't remember exactly how he did it now. I wish I did.

Just to get an idea of how much the transmission shaft will be shortened, I set the ranger shaft next to the 28 spline one. Just imagine the 25 splines going on the shaft right above it and the end being cut off.

Attachments

• trannyswap9.jpg
    trannyswap9.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 559

wow, this is awesome

As a mechanical engineering student with a focus on mechanical system design this is like a dream come true for a design project. I may have to convert my truck to something crazy for my senior design!

Maybe its waterjet. Ill have the machineshop tell me what would work best when I find one to go talk to. I have never tried something like this but have read quite afew different things on the interenet and I feel that it can be done to keep everything lined up fine. They built cars long before all the computer controlled designed that were fine so it can be done. Also if I do have a vibration I can ether remake the area with the vibration or I can scrap the whole thing toss a 5.0 in, use the np435 and get a dana 20 to put on the adapter that is on the tranny right now. Also if the motor adapter works out you could also bolt a C4 or any other tranny that came behind the 5.0 to the 4.0. Just not sure how much an auto would like to be clocked over a few degrees.

Hokie said:
wow, this is awesome

As a mechanical engineering student with a focus on mechanical system design this is like a dream come true for a design project. I may have to convert my truck to something crazy for my senior design!

I wish I had some mechanical enginnering and design background. Ive never taken a class that has to do with any of it just done alot of research on the net and alot of day dreaming when I was in school and now at work on how to make this work.

Did they ever open wild wings back up after it burned last year in charleston? I sure miss eating at the noise oyster and at brecks in charleston as well.

410Fortune said:
Matt, I have full blown CAD right here, I have been a CAD operator for over 10 years, so if you need anything drawn up let me know.
I recently purchased AutoCAD 2004 for $400 online, thats $3100 less then the 2005 version, let me know if you need CAD help.
QUOTE]

04' is chill, but its all about 05' like I gots at work ;) ...sheeit, I still prefer R14 like I started on tho, if only anybody used it anymore :(

Hokie said:
wow, this is awesome

Not copying, but building on the idea. :D

You might try a local college (tech center). Our machine shop classes are always looking for student projects. They are closely supervied. I think you basically pay for the materials and some shop time. Its worth checking into at least.

EDIT: I am not sure what you are intending, but the modified shafts can be built in 3D and saved as an STL (lithography) file and machined directly. I have seen parts made on a 4 axis CNC bridgeport that way from a 3D CAD drawing I did. YOu would need to talk to the machinest to see what he/she needs.

Matt if you need any measurements let me know, I have a 4.0L hanging on a hook and a 5.0L sitting in my truck with no transmission on it.....Both have flywheels etc, so I can measure this stuff for you, but you better hurry because I am now really trying to get my truck back on the road in a hurry and the trans will go in sometime soon :)

the definition of "bolt on" is getting stretched here :)

RockRanger said:
isnt this like the pot calling the kettle black? :p :D

I think the PC term is now "Isn't this like the pot calling the kettle a cooking utinsel?"

BKennedy said:
So, that entire SAS was all bolt on??????????????? :confused: :eek:
Sorry, I consider the SAS to be suspension and not drivetrain. :eek:

I was refering to the 700R4 and Atlas which, with the help of a few 'off the shelf' adapters, were simple bolt-ons ;)

I finally went and looked up the ratios on this trans :eek:

You mentioned the 2nd -> 3rd shift, but I'd be more worried about the 3 -> 4 shift. those are some steep ratio changes.

Ilustration (this is with 4.88's and 35's though):

Attachments

• trans.jpg
    trans.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 501

410Fortune said:
Matt if you need any measurements let me know, I have a 4.0L hanging on a hook and a 5.0L sitting in my truck with no transmission on it.....Both have flywheels etc, so I can measure this stuff for you, but you better hurry because I am now really trying to get my truck back on the road in a hurry and the trans will go in sometime soon :)

there are few differnt measurements that I need that you maybe could help me with.

1. How far does the crank on the 5.0 stick out past the mounting surface for the bellhousing? If you have a picture of the back of the 5.0 that would help alotas well

2. What is the diamator of the hole on the back of the 5.0 crank that the pilot bearing goes into.

3. In one of my other threads I started about an oild filter adapter deal you mentioned the one you had for the 5.0. Do you know if this one will fit the 4.0? An if so how far will it stick down in relation to the center line of the crank. Hope that makes sence. I need to try to keep what ever I end up doing with oil filter up above the block so I have enough room to fit my starter in.

4. Where did you mount your oil filter? I havent looked much for a new location but need to figure it out. I could always mount it right under the front bumper like all the cool monster show trucks. I would need two filters then :D

Thats all I can think of now. Thanks for the help Jamie. I should beable to make some progress on some of this stuff in the next few days. Most if wont be very picture oriented but will be most of the minor details I have mentioned in prevous posts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jefe said:
Yes well. . .so far I've stuck to 'bolt-on' drivetrain mods. :p

Except my truck is 12 years old. You started doing all your mods to a 2 year old truck and had a SAS on a 4 year old truck and its all done at home. That is what I call crazy.

Back