Crazy 02 sensor, O/D sensor, stalling problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crazy 02 sensor, O/D sensor, stalling problem

radioiowa88

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Has anyone ever experienced anything like this??

My '99 XLT has 154K and has been throwing out P0141 & P0161 codes for the past couple of months (heater circuit malfunction, banks 1 & 2). The auto techs at our local college thought that was odd, so they replaced the bank 1 sensor. The check engine light still came up. They played around with it some more (did not replace bank 2 since they thought it was unlikely that both 02 sensors would go bad with that particular code without another cause). Shortly after, the O/D sensor light came on. O/D is fine and the button works to turn it off and on. Throughout all of this, it will periodically stall while driving down the road (today while driving downhill at 30mph, one time on the hwy over 50 mph, most often when coming up to a stoplight. It doesn't do it often- maybe a half dozen times in the last year). If I turn off the ignition and restart, it's usually fine, although I have to be careful not to disengage the ignition too soon or it will flood itself. The auto tech thinks it's a problem with the wiring harness. Apparently it was in a bad position and wires were being rubbed. He moved it to a new location but as yet has not had time to put in new wires.

Does this sound like a wiring problem? Does it sound like ANYTHING you've experienced?? I'm getting tired of the unpredictability and hate to spend more money on it. However, I just replaced the tranny last spring as well as a new rear differential and brakes (and it's paid off!). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to this forum! A flashing overdrive light is an indication of a code which is transmission related. Not all scanners are capable of reading transmission or manufacturer specific codes.

Back