• Register Today It's free!

"Creaking" brakes.

JTH1972

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XL V6 4X4
Last little while, I can hear my brakes creaking at low speed when applied. It's not brake squeal. I have to change the pads soon but what else should I be checking for or possibly replacing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you lift it to do the brakes, grab the top and bottom of your tire and yank it back and forth. If there is any play in the wheel you have a bad ball joint. Thats a big cause of creaking sounds. And usualy if you have a bad ball joint, you might have 2 bad ball joints.

Also, if you are getting new bads get new rotors or cut your old ones or youll end up with new annoying sounds.

I had the vehicle checked a couple of months ago, and they didn't say anything about ball joints. It's creaked fora while now, although I can't recall how long exactly. What about bushings?

It could be sway bar bushings if you have a sway bar. I just noticed your year. I never had a creaking issue with my old ranger, but, there are bushings in the front end that could cause noises. I would think tho that you would notice it while turning and even accelerating to an extent. Lets see what other people suggest. I dont have much experiance with the front end of the 1st gen Explorers.

Creaking could be the start of radius arm bushings going, but I'd agree you should check out the ball joints since they do eventually go, and if you're still on the stock ones you might want to go ahead and replace them anyway.

The brakes sometimes creak if you don't lube up the caliper slides, and sometimes the anti-squeal/rattle clip either rusts or breaks, which can cause a click or creak sound. It's also possible the lug nuts are loose, or there is some other fastener which isn't as tight as it should be, including the wheel bearing retainer nut.

When you're replacing the pads is a good time to check everything else out and see what's up, but you may want to get under there with a flashlight beforehand and see if there's anything obvious so you can go ahead and buy anything else you'll need and do everything at once.

what's good to use to lube the caliper slides?

The auto parts stores have little packs of Brake Parts Lube at the counter usualy for about $1

Back