• Register Today It's free!

cross shopping the explorer

bluelion

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 EX Limited
did anyone cross shop the explorer with the new dodge durango?? although i like the exterior/interior/options of the explorer, i can't help but look at the durango r/t. i know it's in a slightly different class due to the motor size, but dimensions and stuff, they're extremely close.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't cross shopped them, but I've been looking at Durango more actively, given reviews:

Advantages:

1) apparently the interior is roomier (and maybe their version of MFT is better - Garmin nav can't hurt?)
2) Can tow more weight, if you require that ( I don't)

Disadvantages:

a) 5 speed transmission is kind of clunky. Rumor is there is an 8 speed coming for 2013, but that is a bit of a wait. This is the biggest issue in my book and if they had that now, I'd be looking more seriously at Durango

b) Have to go upscale to get close to Ex's technology and (at least in Canada) is a bit more pricey - missing auto parking, nice driver display and I don't think the seats were as nice (8 versus 10 way, presets, etc)

I also haven't checked out the Durango forums to see what issues they might be experiencing. Love to hear from others who have cross shopped the Durango, too.

Durango = Dodge.....didn't look beyond that.

Didn't cross shop the Durango. However, I did end up with one as a rental recently for a week.

As far as looks, you'll have to get the r/t for it to look good, otherwise, Explorer wins.

They say the interior is more roomy, I didn't feel that was the case at all. The finishes and construction of the Ex are far superior.

Garmin nav is just that, a $100 Garmin unit slapped in the dash. It works, but graphics and functionality are lacking. Doesn't have the finished look of the MFT system. I've not had any of the nav issues with the Ex that others have had, so I like the Ex's nav. I wasn't impressed with the rest of the U-Connect system either, it's extremely simple, yet not intuitive to navigate.

The ride and comfort were not even close to the Explorer. I was extremely happy to turn that rental in and get back to my Ex waiting for me at the airport.

Not sure what any of this is worth, but observations none the less.

Refuse to buy any GM or Chrysler products due to political reasons. That being said, the main problem I found while researching the Durango was the 5 speed transmission. Reviews said it made the V6 very underpowered, and I wasn't going to go to a V8 that only gets 13 mpg.

It's definitely a good looking vehicle, but I've had bad experiences with Chrysler products in the past, so I'd never buy one again. Plus the reason mentioned above.

That's another point I forgot to address, the transmission. Power was good in 1st and as soon as it shifted to 2nd it bogged down. Same thing going into 3rd, felt like I had to keep giving it more throttle just to make the damn thing move. Obviously, this all affected MPG's which were not good for the 1,000 miles I put on it that week.

Worth something to me, since I'm hoping to pick up a new car if the right deal comes in Sept. Thank you

+1, also enough said!

Refuse to buy any GM or Chrysler products due to political reasons.

Exactly! In fact I bought my first Ford (2011 Ex) partly on GP.

Didn't cross shop the Durango. However, I did end up with one as a rental recently for a week.

As far as looks, you'll have to get the r/t for it to look good, otherwise, Explorer wins.

They say the interior is more roomy, I didn't feel that was the case at all. The finishes and construction of the Ex are far superior.

Garmin nav is just that, a $100 Garmin unit slapped in the dash. It works, but graphics and functionality are lacking. Doesn't have the finished look of the MFT system. I've not had any of the nav issues with the Ex that others have had, so I like the Ex's nav. I wasn't impressed with the rest of the U-Connect system either, it's extremely simple, yet not intuitive to navigate.

The ride and comfort were not even close to the Explorer. I was extremely happy to turn that rental in and get back to my Ex waiting for me at the airport.

This is a great review, thanks!

That's another point I forgot to address, the transmission. Power was good in 1st and as soon as it shifted to 2nd it bogged down. Same thing going into 3rd, felt like I had to keep giving it more throttle just to make the damn thing move. Obviously, this all affected MPG's which were not good for the 1,000 miles I put on it that week.

This was talked about in a Motor Trend or Car and Driver review. They said something like 1st gear was good until 60, then 2nd till 100, then 3rd to 110. It was 2.5 gear. That was a big deal to me.

Glad I could help.

I test drove them back-to-back and bought the Explorer.
Reasons:
- interior noise was unpleasant in the Dodge after the quiet of the Explorer- expansion joints in road were loud and harsh in the Dodge- but this could be a tire pressure issue.
- performance (I drove the Hemi) was nice, but limited by the transmission and just not as exciting as I had hoped it would be.
- 2nd row seat comfort is much better in the Ex
- Seat material is slippery in the Dodge
- Dodge stereo sounds horrible- over-boosted bass and poor fidelity. Maybe great if you like thumping bass music but not for me.
- I preferred the interior design of the Ex.
- Dodge has better towing and off-road ability. I think it is closer to a truck than a car. The Ex is a car that can tow.

thanks for all the replies.....i've been trying to read up on both vehicle forums and seeing what everyone was complaining about.....i think i can deal with the MFT issues because that can be updated by the dealer and what not.....i don't think a tranny issue will be corrected by an update so i would end up having model year remorse when that 8spd comes out.......thanks guys, i'll continue to look into the Ex.

Always had issues with Chrysler products. My son has a 2008 Charger and they have rebuilt the tranny under the lifetime warranty. Just to much bagage with my track record.

Back