• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Control Failed

BigRedBastard

Reaction score
City, State
Houston Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
The previous Driver Of my EX noticed one day that the cruise no longer works. I've removed the steering wheel cover to test the buttons and they are working... sometimes, but the horn works every time. Is there any thing else i can check to make sure that the buttons are the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the electrical switch (b.o.o.) at the brake pedal. Also check the vacuum switch on top of the pedal assembly for an out of adjustment situation. Good luck with it, and welcome to the forum!

Yes, check vacuum and also cable attachment to TB

Is there a light on the cluster that tells you that the cruise is on?

My cruise would work some days and some it wouldn't. There is a module, I think it is called the cruise control amp. Open your glove box, squeeze the tabs in at the top so it will drop down out of the way. On my '94, there will be a green box mounted inside and above the glove box opening. This is the amp. I took mine out and opened it up to see the circuit board inside. Be careful trying to disassemble, the plastic housing becomes brittle with time. I am the type that likes to repair if possible. If you have a very strong magnifier, look at all the solder joints. Mine were showing their age. I have a jewelers magnifier that can get you down in there for a good look. Several joints were cracked causing my issues. I resoldered all joints and it has worked all the time for over a year now. With the age on these 1st gens, electrical issues can be traced back to deteriorating solder joints quit often.

My cruise would work some days and some it wouldn't. There is a module, I think it is called the cruise control amp. Open your glove box, squeeze the tabs in at the top so it will drop down out of the way. On my '94, there will be a green box mounted inside and above the glove box opening. This is the amp. I took mine out and opened it up to see the circuit board inside. Be careful trying to disassemble, the plastic housing becomes brittle with time. I am the type that likes to repair if possible. If you have a very strong magnifier, look at all the solder joints. Mine were showing their age. I have a jewelers magnifier that can get you down in there for a good look. Several joints were cracked causing my issues. I resoldered all joints and it has worked all the time for over a year now. With the age on these 1st gens, electrical issues can be traced back to deteriorating solder joints quit often.

This happens in the cpu's too!

Back