• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Control

AppleWood

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Wylie, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did some last month. If you buy new switches they'll come with new wires, but if your wires are ok then you can just install the switch parts, which will make installation easier.

Disconnect the battery and turn on the headlights to discharge the air bags. On the sides of the steering wheel there plastic plugs that cover the bolts that hold the air bag on. Pop the plugs out and remove the 2 (10mm?) bolts you'll find under them. Remove the air bag and set it on top of the steering wheel out of your way. The cruise control switches are held on with 2 Phillips screws. Remove the screws and the switches will come free.

Now comes the hard part. If you look at the wiring at each switch it appears that you just squeeze the clips on either side and unplug them. The problem is that the bottom of the plug locks into the switch housing. Use something thin (like a feeler gauge, or maybe a butter knife, to shove in between the plug and the switch housing to release it. Plug in your new switches and reinstall in reverse order of disassembly. Easy job once you know the secret to getting the wires to release.

Here's a link with pics...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...5&highlight=cruise+control+switch+replacement

Note: I see some CC switches advertised as RH ground and other's as LH ground. I guess the only way to know is to remove the air bag and check. The ground will be a single black wire that will go under one of the switch's retaining screws.

Thank You Koda - good information.

I found a pair of switches on Evil_Bay for $25 and they're on the way. On mine the black vinyl is all but completely gone and even though they still work they just look awful.

As simple as this appears to be I'm definitely going to give it a try...

Thank You Koda - good information.

I found a pair of switches on Evil_Bay for $25 and they're on the way. On mine the black vinyl is all but completely gone and even though they still work they just look awful.

As simple as this appears to be I'm definitely going to give it a try...

Yep, that's what eventually happens to them.

Yep, that's what eventually happens to them.

Tip. If your old switches still light up, save the tiny little bulbs. One of my used switches did not light up, but I was able to install a bulb from my old destroyed switches. Changing the bulb is not an easy process, but it can be done. Also save the lower part of the plastic housings as you might break you new one trying to get the cover off. Ask me how if you need to do this.

Back