Curiosity question about V-8 installs in 2nd gens | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Curiosity question about V-8 installs in 2nd gens

BBQ_HotDogs

A Man Without Wheels
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer (R.I.P.)
I know the present engine is a 302 in the Explorers. But if you had to pull one and replace it, could you actually put a bigger engine in it instead of another 302? I was thinking today that my old Malibu had a 350 in it and they also had 305's. Those Chevrolet engines are the same in size as far as space goes, but HP is different by a significant amount. So if you blew a 302 and had to buy a new block, could you get a larger block from Ford, say the 351 or something like that? Just curious and wondering out loud.

Thanks in advance,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't put a Chevy block in your X, they don't belong! You should pull the 302 and stroke it to 347, or buy a crate motor. TONS of aftermarket parts and HUGE power N/A and charged.

You missed the point. I never said I wanted to or suggested putting a Chevy motor in an Explorer. But what I did ask, was can you put a larger Ford engine in an Explorer, say a 351 or something. Has it been done or is it a big hassle? This is purely a curiosity type question.

I see. There have been 351's in first gens, don't think it's been done in a second gen.

I think the 351 has a taller deck height. I'm not 100% sure how you put that. But its taller. If you were to "blow" a 302, I'd stroke it out. ;)

once my mounty is paid off im toying around with the idea getting a 460, boreing a stroking it and putting it in with a C6.
I know it wont be an easy bolt in thing but, cowl hood in 5 inch wide tires up front should help ;)

theres is an explorer around here, it has a 425 in it. no word of a lie. Dont know what the person did to it, to make the engine that big. It was a customers explorer at a local mustang tuner shop. The people there said the owner was putting a $2000+ exhaust system on it.

The 302 has an 8.2" deck height, which is smaller than a Chevy smallblock.
The 351W has a 9.5" deck height, which makes it almost two inches wider and taller than a 302.
The 460 has about a 10.2"-10.5" deck height. I don't remember that exact figure. The 460 would be a good three inches wider and taller. By the way, if a 460 block is checked and found to be perfect, it can be bored .160" over. Supposedly they can go .080 without checking for core shift. The stock bore is 4.36", meaning that 4.52" is the maximum bore potential for a 429 or 460.
DonW

Back