Curious about badly corroded aluminum parts under the hood | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Curious about badly corroded aluminum parts under the hood

1998Exp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Seattle WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited V8 AWD
I am shopping for a 'decent' 2nd gen for an offspring that just got their driver's license. Discovered that a good one is very hard to find...
Yesterday, while checking a not-so-great 2000 with 5.0L engine, noticed that all the surfaces of the aluminum parts under the hood (upper intake manifold, front accessory bracket, master brake cylinder, etc. etc.) were badly pitted. They were very rough, as if someone sand-blasted them.
I won't buy this truck because of a long list of other problems, but this corrosion got me puzzled. Has anyone ever seen such thing? Is this evidence of salt water submergence (I did not see any other signs of submergence and the vehicle never lived in a flooded area). Perhaps a battery exploded and spewed acid?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I've seen it before. No idea what causes it though

yeah i see it everytime i crawl under my truck.. but i live in northern minnesota with salty roads and lots of snow and rain and wetness..

The salt oxidizes the aluminum and pits the hell out of it. If you want to ruin a set of aluminum rims just run them one winter on salted roads, lol...

Funny; that 2000 Limited had nice, smooth aluminum rims, to go along with all that pitted aluminum mess under the hood. Wouldn't those be the first to get hit with that salt from the road? The battery was dead as a doornail; even the gauges wouldn't illuminate before jump-starting, so I don't think these were the kind of people who invest in new rims for a sale. And if they did put new rims, who would buy a set of those with completely bald tires on them? So I doubt that the corrosion under the hood came from the road. But who knows; it shall remain a mystery...

The salt oxidizes the aluminum and pits the hell out of it. If you want to ruin a set of aluminum rims just run them one winter on salted roads, lol...

I believe the Limiteds come with aluminum plated rims with a good clear coat over them. The parts under the hood aren't clear coated.I bought a set of polished aluminum rims and redid them, minus the clear coat. After one winter they were the same again.

A good indication of aluminum oxidation is a fine white powder on the surface. For prevention, cover any exposed electrical and ignition parts with plastic kichen bags and spray the COLD engine with low pressure water or engine cleaner avoiding the air intake opening by the headlight. Follow by running the engine till warm, turn off, and blow excess water off with compressed air or a leaf blower. When dry, spray metal parts with WD-40 or a light lubricant of your choice. Wipe off excess oil and spray periodically. Contrary to popular belief, WD-40 does NOT harm rubber and I've never had that problem. Only issue is that oil attracts dust so I coat all the non metal parts with Stoner's Trim Shine, the absolute best detailing spray for rubber and vinyl trim I've ever used without that fake oily shine you get from many other protectants. As for rims, clean well and often. Oil near brakes is a really bad idea. ;)

http://wd40.com/faqs/#a98

http://www.trimshine.com/

40LSOHC.jpg

wow i wished my engine bay looked like that wow... but.. yours is missing 2 cylinders!!

and yeah aluminum is good for being light but doesn't last to long when exposed to the element.. but all the rust does tend to make it even lighter lol i end up painting all my aluminum rims before they go bad just to help out with prevention and make it take a little longer for the salt to eat at them..

wow i wished my engine bay looked like that wow... but.. yours is missing 2 cylinders!!

and yeah aluminum is good for being light but doesn't last to long when exposed to the element.. but all the rust does tend to make it even lighter lol i end up painting all my aluminum rims before they go bad just to help out with prevention and make it take a little longer for the salt to eat at them..
Only WISH it was possible to say "I could have had a V8". ;) No option on the 2001-05 Gen 1 ST, only the ******* 4.0L SOHC. :(

Only WISH it was possible to say "I could have had a V8". ;) No option on the 2001-05 Gen 1 ST, only the ******* 4.0L SOHC. :(

didnt they have a 4.6 or something?

Sorry, wrong message. Ignore.

Back