• Register Today It's free!

filthy under the hood

drstein

Reaction score
City, State
Justin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
After a few trips through some mud, it's absolutely *filthy* under the hood.

Taking the Explorer to a detail shop is more $$ than I really have to spend, so I figure I'll ask you guys.

Any suggestions for cleaning off the engine/etc? I don't want to damage anything by just taking the pressure washer and spraying the dirt off. Some of the dirt/etc is an alkali dust/cruft from a dry lake bed (desert in Nevada) and if I recall correctly, it can be corrosive.

GUNK FOAMY ENGINE BRITE and skip the new citrus kind, the original foamy kind works best.

Get two cans if its really dirty.

Now you can follow the directions on the can, but here is what I do.
Use hose, get engine and compartment wet.
Avoid air intake (especially if you have a aftermarket filter, if you do wrap it with a plastic bag) and avoid alternator.
they can both get wet, but you dont want to soak them.

Spray both cans of foamy engine brite all over, get around the fan shroud, around the exhaust, the front of the engine, down deep. I also spray the firewall (around the brake booster, heater box, wiper motor, etc)
ONce one or two cans are empty wait about 5 minutes.

Then hose off everything. No high pressure needed, just water.

Let it dry before trying to start.

Now you will have a puddle of water inside the top of the power steering pump cap, remove it and drain the water. Dry with towel.
Dry and clean around the brake master cyl lid and resevoir.
Dry the standing water on the coil pack
Dry the top of the battery

Start truck and enjoy!

This stuff will have it looking like new, here is my old 96 after never being cleaned under the hood since 96 and one can of foamy engine brite:
28935litre-med.jpg

Back