Custom intake idea

flyguy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT V8
Hey, I was thinking... the main problem I had on my ride making an intake was that in order to get the PVC in there with the 90 degree elbow, it got to bulky and took up too much room to get a good fit and keep in under the hood.... soooo... could a muffler shop bend a piece of 3" stainless to fit more precicly? Then we could just drill the thingie for the valve cover and get the thing chromed. :) I think it would look sweet. But I think the stainless might be a little on the heavy side... so what about aluminum? Do they make 3" or 2.5" aluminum pipe?

nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it will need to be wrapped in header tape or your truck will be sucking in heated air

Hmmm... maybe give up the chrome and try some heat resistant paint... or a rubberized coating? Dont alot of intakes use metal tubes? Hmmmm. Oh how about chrome on the outside, and rubberized coating on the inside? header tape would be uuuuuuugly. :)

nick

flyguy, if all you are worried about is looks, then I do think that you have a good idea. However, when it comes to performance, I think thats bad idea.

My idea for a "custom" intake may sound pricy, but when you think of the performance possibilities, and compare it to the cost of other systems, its actually quite a good deal.

1. Get a KKM True-Rev Intake kit

2. I know it may sound wasteful, but instead of using the S&B filter that comes with the KKM kit, I'm gonna order a K&N filter with an X-Stream top (it costs around $55, depending on size) ( go to https://www.truckperformance.com/display.image.php?image=kn_univ_xstream_500.jpg for a pic)

So yes, you're basically paying around $90 for an adaptor to accept a cone filter. Seems high, but I know my Explorer Limited deserves better than PVC...
Not only do I feel that K&N makes a much better filter, but with an X-Stream top you're getting absolute maximum airflow.

3. I plan on getting some sort of "ram air" tubing. I haven't decided for sure yet what I'll use, because it depends on how the filter fits and how much room I have and everything.

4. I've seen someone else in this forum with pics of something they did where they put plastic isolating the filter from the engine heat, which I think is a good idea and I may do that, but I don't think its really necessary.

The final cost should be under $200, and if you ask me thats a great price. Considering the average price of a K&N FIPK (which they do not make a kit for 2000 5.0L Explorers anyway, which prompted me to come up with this idea) which is anywhere from $170 or so to upwards of $250, and FIPKs don't come with X-Stream filters. Plus, I'm hoping I can sell the S&B filter. I'd hate to let it go to waste, I'd have to think someone could find some use for it.

Maybe if someone has a KKM and does a lot of mudriding and they'd like to have a second filter to use strickly for off-roading and use their regular filter for street driving. I think $30 is a more than fair price.

If anyone is interested in buying my S&B filter for their KKM True Rev kit, please e-mail me at: explorer_91@msn.com

I'll post pictures once I get everything installed. I just ordered my KKM today (3/6/02), and they said it should be here next Tuesday. So as soon as it gets here, I'll measure the mounting flange on the S&B filter, and then order a K&N X-Stream filter of the same size. I'm hoping to have the whole thing, or everything minus the ram air tube, done by next Fri, but it depends on whether or not UPS feels like doing their job...

I'm with 2kLimitedV8 on most of that post.
The next part of the intake I want to "open up" is the tube between the MAF and the TB. Have you noticed how it bottlenecks at the 90 degree bend, and then opens back up for the TB? If that bottleneck is smaller than my TB (which it appears to be using the naked eye), I want something to replace that part of the intake. I've suggested before, and Alec thought I should check out Home Depot for tubing, and some silicone to attach it to the metal, or talk with a fab shop. I haven't found a fab shop yet, and it's been too cold to try all this outside, but that's the next project. I may try it with materials from HD and see how it works first, before involving the fab shops.
Ever heard of anything like that?
I've got a bit of a ram-air setup right now (home-made).
Karl

Back