• Register Today It's free!

Custom PTU Heat shield?

VADeputy

Reaction score
City, State
Fred, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer PIU
Not sure if its been talked about, but has anyone attempted to create a custom heat shield for the ptu to protect from engine heat?

Changed the fluid today and was thinking about it.

Trevor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very easy for the piu. There is a video of a guy explaining it on YT. Once you have the new tube ontop the ptu installed, it is as easy as changing the oil. First time was at 70k im at 92k now.

Tip: make sure you stick the tip of the bottle in the tube and let the air "gurgle" its way back up every so often. Or you will blow the tube off the top of the ptu. If you use a funnel you will be there all day. So pressurize the bottle and be patient. Good luck. Message me if you need any help

Also mine was extremely low on fluid. I think i draind 7oz out and put a little over 16. The extra came out the top of the ptu through the over fill plug thing after i was done though so no big deal if you oved fill it

Also mine was extremely low on fluid. I think i draind 7oz out and put a little over 16. The extra came out the top of the ptu through the over fill plug thing after i was done though so no big deal if you oved fill it
The PTUs on this gen almost unanimously seem to have been underfilled from factory, for who knows what reason.

I'm going to be wrapping the downpipes in header heat wrap. Should help some.

I was thinking the same. As far as heat from the engine it looks like it would be more of a challenge. Ill have to study it some more.

Did this ever go anywhere?

FYI, the thread starter and Ntrain haven't been seen here for over a year.

Peter

Ahh, never checked their activity. Thanks Peter

Back