• Register Today It's free!

cuts off when i give it gas

countryboys4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisonburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 91 XL
ok i was driving around today just fine i washed my engin came home parked then tryed to leave got like 50 yards and it cut off started right back up then i pressed the gas and it cut right back off i changed to oil thinkin that i might have got a little water in the engin from spraying it and it idels at 3 hundrend got any ideas whats wrong i also took at the air filter but i dont think that would have any thing to do with it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the Check Engine Light on?

yea it is..... my friend said a lot of sut was comin out the exhust pipe and he said maybe the cat went bad could that be it cause i mean it just happend right away

wet wires?

nope all dry

Pull your code and go from there.....

i tryed that nothing happend

What do you mean you tried and nothing happened?

if the cel is on, then the computer will show a trouble code.... thats is why i8u said: "Pull your code and go from there....."

i turned the key like ur suppose to and no codes came up

did you hook it up to a computer? a code isnt going to come up just becuase you turned the key...

oh i havnt hooked it up to a computer cause i cant drive it to autozone my friend said if u turn the key 3 time and let it set the last time it should check engin light should blink and give u the code

Yeah but it would probably be hard for you to reads the sequence of flashes correctly even if you do access the diagnostics mode with the correct key cycle sequence. I would find a way to get it to an autozone or someone with an obd-1 scan tool and the correct cartrage if needed. Also the proper connector to hook it up to your pcm's diaqnostics comunication link under your hood.

What color is the smoke that comes out of your exhaust? white, black, blueish?

black

That would indicate a very rich air to fuel ratio. In other words something is causing you car to be burning a bunch of fuel. Are you getting bad gas mileage? You need to pull the code! I can guess and give you an idea to check but can not do more without seeing your car or at least knowing what code/s are stored in you pcm.

So are you going to find a way to pull the code or what?:D

If you are running extremely rich it can cause your cats to fail due to excess heat.....

how do you know if your runing rich i think im gonna take off the cat today if it warms up and check that out

replace your fuel pressure regulator it is bad and it also is the only thing that will cause the engine to run that rich

my '91 has the same symptoms right now. when you figure out whats wrong please post it on here. thanks

ill do that for ya i took mine to the shop they are startin workin on it tommow

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone find anythingout? my '94 explorer is doing the same thing. replaced the pcv and the idle air valve. still have black smoke coming out.

Back