CV Joint Binding With 1 inch TT?????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CV Joint Binding With 1 inch TT??????

rhyno

Reaction score
City, State
Potomac, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 EB
My X has been in the family since new, so I am pretty sure no one has messed with the tortion bolts. I did the add a leaf last weekend, and a 1 inch TT. Well now I am getting a Clicking sound from up front when going over bumps or turning. Not very loud, but noticable to me. WTF!?! Do I have to reverse the TT? It is going to look a little funny with War 153, AAL, and a stock front ride height! What should I do?????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clicking? the CVs are a distinct bind and popping noise. Clickig over bumps and turning may be something else.

Good, I dont care if it is something else I have to fix. I have over 100,000 miles, so I dont mind that. As long as I can keep my TT and "think" that it did not cause the problem!!!! Thanks Taxxman!

1" will not cuase a bind in most cases. What I found though was as soon as I started messing with my truck I noticed noises and feelings that were probably there all along. Once you start doing your own work you get to the point of being over sensative. I am not saying there isn't a problem, but I am saying that I doubt it is the CVs. And I doubt the TT caused it, just may have made it more noticeable.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I probably did not notice it before since I was not listening for it. Also, I have just started riding with the windows down again due to the warmer weather. That could affect the noises I hear.

CVs in the early stages of wearing out can make clicking noises. It could be your CVs and it is possible (1) that you're just noticing the noise that was there already, or (2) with the high mileage of your vehicle, the 1" TT adjusted the old CVs just enough to start showing their age and impending failure. You should be able to get 2" from a TT without any adverse effects; hundreds of us have done that. It may simply be time to buy new CVs anyway.

Or like others have stated it may not be CVs at all. Undo your TT and drive it and see if the noise is still there.

Thanks GJarrett. Your posts that I found though the search feature were actually the first bit of research I did to investigate this.

Back