Cylinder head gasket question

YBCold

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ×∟┬
right so i have 3 seperate instructions about torqueing the cylinder heads and lower intake. but i was doing a dry run today and i noticed my haynes manual says to put RTV sealant around the water jacket ports.

it then says not to put RTV sealant on the head gaskets but the picture shows the block with RTV sealant around the water jacket ports which couldnt be possible unless u put the RTV then the head gasket. so should i put RTV sealant on all water jacket ports, then cylinder head, then lower intake with RTV at mating corners?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dude, give us more then 5 minutes to answer your questions.

IMO, the water jackets up by the Temp sensor and te one in the back are the weak points on these gaskets since there is not much Surface area there.
That is where these gaskets usually fail. I put RTV around those jackets... I would recommend it.

right but. but im asking if i put RTV around the water jackets on the block then the cylinder head gaskets then heads?

I've never put anything on the head gaskets other than the spray to make them tacky so they didn't move.

I don't use RTV (right stuff brand) until I get to the lower intake manifold. It goes on the china walls.

~Mark

got it. looks like i made a funk up in my readin. head gaskets go on bare a$$. then u put RTV on the Heads where they have water jacket ports and on both sides of the intake gasket in the corners where the manifold contacts the block. thanks for the replies!

Back